Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have been in the UK for quite a while now, and my last entry was in July 30th with my Romanian passport. The thing is, that I was not yet approved a NI number, and so I don't yet have a bank account. I am planning on traveling abroad for about a week and a half in Nov 28th, and then return to the UK. My question is...
Can they not let me enter the UK, having stayed longer then three months? (This law is valid until 2014 to my understanding) Can the officers have me detained and questioned, demanding to know what am I doing in the UK?
Mind you I do have a job done mostly at home via computer in my home country, and I am not a burden and don't receive any benefits.
Many thanks!!
Efy

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I'd wait until Jrge logs in, but as an EEA national, you have the same freedom of movement as any other EEA citizen, though there is restriction on access to job market. After 3 months in UK, you can continue to stay or re-enter UK provided you are still a qualified person, by being a jobseeker, working, being self-employed, self-sufficient or studying. You need permission from Home Office to be employed. So provided your activities are covered by one of the provisions, you are fine. If you are claiming by being self-employed, you need to register as self-employed and for income tax and national insurance with HMRC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joppa!
So does this mean I can claim to be self employed at the income tax? I was told that first of all I need a NI number, and the NI in Glasgow are claiming that I haven't provided them with enough proof of my right to be self employed. I thought of simply getting a job as an employee as I realized it is easier receiving a NI number this way...
So I shouldn't worry about entering the UK?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Wait till Jrge logs on.
I don't know how much scrutiny a Romanian national receives at UK border. You may be just waved through, or they may ask questions.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hi,
Thanks Joppa!
So does this mean I can claim to be self employed at the income tax? I was told that first of all I need a NI number, and the NI in Glasgow are claiming that I haven't provided them with enough proof of my right to be self employed. I thought of simply getting a job as an employee as I realized it is easier receiving a NI number this way...
So I shouldn't worry about entering the UK?
You shouldn't have any problem(s) re-entering UK, and as self-employed you should apply for a registration certificate.

Read here: UK Border Agency | Bulgarian and Romanian nationals, this is as easy as it gets.

Animo
(Cheers)

Reactions: Efy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.