Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! First time visitor to this site.
My question is simple, is there a statute of limitation on when you can raise a case against an employer for unpaid salaries? A year? or is it open with no time limit?
I resigned from my company in August 2012. At that time, the company had not recovered from the recession and everyone's salarys were still 6 months late. When i left, they paid me up to only 3 months late. Because i understood the problem, and had been there for a few years, i let it go. But request after request was rebuffed with excuses, and here it is three years later, and still they have not paid the 3 months they owed me.
Am i still able to raise a case at the labor ministry???

Thank you all!

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,074 Posts
Hello everyone! First time visitor to this site.
My question is simple, is there a statute of limitation on when you can raise a case against an employer for unpaid salaries? A year? or is it open with no time limit?
I resigned from my company in August 2012. At that time, the company had not recovered from the recession and everyone's salarys were still 6 months late. When i left, they paid me up to only 3 months late. Because i understood the problem, and had been there for a few years, i let it go. But request after request was rebuffed with excuses, and here it is three years later, and still they have not paid the 3 months they owed me.
Am i still able to raise a case at the labor ministry???

Thank you all!
Hi,
If they cancelled your visa through the normal process - then you would have signed a piece of paper that confirmed that the company had paid you all outstanding monies.
You can't get your visa cancelled until you sign that cancellation paper.
Once this has been signed - you then cannot take them to court.
People need to approach the Ministry of Labour whilst they are still under a company's sponsorship to file a complaint - not after they have left.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Steve. I was never given a document to sign that stated all moneys had been paid.( i would never do that, without getting all due salaries).
Something else, i neglected to mention. We separated on good terms. I even asked them to give me a work visa, to enable me to come and go from Dubai, so i wouldn't have to apply for visit visa each time i came and went, since i was working in Saudi and living in Dubai. They gave it to me, and it was just cancelled in March 2015, by Dubai customs, at the airport, because i had stayed out of the country for more than six months.

That comment you made, " People need to approach the Ministry of Labour whilst they are still under a company's sponsorship to file a complaint " how can you find out if you are still under their sponsership without having to ask the employer???

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,074 Posts
Thanks for the reply Steve. I was never given a document to sign that stated all moneys had been paid.( i would never do that, without getting all due salaries).
Something else, i neglected to mention. We separated on good terms. I even asked them to give me a work visa, to enable me to come and go from Dubai, so i wouldn't have to apply for visit visa each time i came and went, since i was working in Saudi and living in Dubai. They gave it to me, and it was just cancelled in March 2015, by Dubai customs, at the airport, because i had stayed out of the country for more than six months.

That comment you made, " People need to approach the Ministry of Labour whilst they are still under a company's sponsorship to file a complaint " how can you find out if you are still under their sponsership without having to ask the employer???
Hi,
When you first cancelled your visa you needed to sign a cancellation paper - maybe somebody "signed" it on your behalf!!

Your terms were obviously not that good with them, if they still owe you money and refuse to pay it to you!

Sponsorship = valid UAE visa.
If your visa was cancelled - you are not now under their sponsorship.

Cheers
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts