Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the USA (from Australia) on an E3 (employer sponsored) work visa (2 year visa, now 1 year into it). About a month ago, I filed an i-485 for a green card, with my wife (US citizen) as the petitioner (i-130). I also filed an i-765 (employment authorisation) at the same time and understand that everything is currently being reviewed by USCIS.

Two weeks ago, my employer terminated my employment with them.

1) Do I need to notify the USCIS of this, given that employer was my E3 sponsor? I believe I would ordinarily need to leave the country under the conditions of my E3 visa, but is this the case if I am also under review for permanent residency? I read something online about special/conditional status while being under review for permanent residency, however the article only referenced H class visas and not my E class visa. Do I have special/conditional status?

2) Do i need to notify the USCIS of my terminated employment, as part of my application for permanent residency? Will this adversely affect my application? I understand that I can't seek/accept other employment in the USA until my i-765 application for employment authorisation is processed (and hopefully approved). Do I need to update my application for permanent residency with the new information about my E3 visa status?

Hoping someone can shed some light on this ... I want to make sure I'm doing everything right, and it's not entirely clear to me what I need to do. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I'll call the USCIS tomorrow ... I can see processes on their website for employers to notify the USCIS of terminated employees, but nothing for employees to notify of being terminated. It looks like they assume you'd just leave the country. Will see if their call centre agent can advise appropriately. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
I heard that AoS puts your status on hold. Personally I would not trust a forum nor a call center employee (and they have been proven to be uninformed) with an unusual situation such as yours. If money is tight - most attorneys offer initial consultations pro bono. Word your questions right.

Being laid off has no impact on your spousal visa.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, and good advice. My experience with the phone agents at USCIS is that they are good for reciting excerpts from the USCIS website, but not much beyond that in terms of interpreting what's written, or applying it to a specific set of circumstances.

Attorneys will see me next week. I'd happily notify USCIS of my change in employment situation, however it's not at all clear how one would go about doing that. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts