Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am currently living in Perth on a 457 (husband is sponsored) and we are about to apply for a 176 through my occupation.

My question is, if we get our 176 granted is it okay if I don't work in this occupation for the first year? Or are there any repercussions from the state?

The reason I ask is because I am due to have a baby at around the same time our 176 would (possibly) be granted and would like to take a year off to be with the baby. My husband has a steady job and we can afford to live on his wages for the year so that will be fine.

Applying for a 176 through him will be much more complicated, he has less points and it will take much longer to gather all the paperwork from home. We would much rather apply through me as it will be more straightforward but I don't want to find then I've jeopardised our residency by not working.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Once the visa is granted, it doesn't matter if you work or not. You can very well be the primary applicant, your husband the secondary, and once the visa is graned he can work and you can stay home, it won't affect the visa in any way.

I don't think that you'd be eligible for maternity leave (payments), since there is a waiting period for new migrants for most payments. You might be eligible for the baby bonus (I'm pretty sure).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sarah, that's exactly what I was hoping but couldn't find any info on it. I just wasn't sure if diac would check up or anything after a year or so and if it would affect our citizenship then.

No I wouldn't be entitled to maternity leave but I didn't expect to be anyway so that's fine. The baby bonus really depends on when the PR is granted in relation to the baby being born so I'll not hold out hope for it but It would be nice if things all fall into place in time. I'll not hold my breath though ;)

Thanks again Sarah

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.