Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does Citibank tell your bank about your pension?

I have tried to contact Citibank but they either ignore me or refer me to TVP International who then tell me I shouldn't be contacting Citibank.
Citibank are the ones who know the original sterling amount, they're the ones who convert it to local currency and they are the ones who deposit it into the local bank account (for those pensioners residing abroad) so why can't they tell me?

Of course, I know my weekly pension sterling amount so, for most of the year, I can just multiply by 4 to get the original sterling amount that has been converted.
However, typically once a year, the weekly payment changes during the payment period so I don't know what the original amount was.

When Citibank refused to respond, they contacted TVP who then said, in a poorly written email that erroneously detailed what I had asked, that I shouldn't be talking to Citibank, when they could have spent that time telling me the original sterling amount but, of course, despite knowing who I am (I have emailed them often in the past) they have this idiotic idea that I am not entitled to receiving any information, with regard to myself, via an email. I am now waiting for them to respond to my response to that and they have exceeded the 10 working days, that they say they will respond within, twice.

Citibank do provide a lot of information to the recipient bank, including my NI number (which neither of us need to know), but they don't provide the original sterling amount, or rather it doesn't appear on the statement comments.

With CitiBank's refusal to talk to me and TVP not responding to my emails, I don't know if they do provide the original sterling amount to my bank and it isn't being displayed or if it isn't being passed on.

Of course, if you are in the UK and receiving your pension paid in directly to your bank account, obviously you will know how much the sterling amount was so why can't I?

I would be interested in knowing whether anyone living outside the UK, who receives their UK state pension in local currency, has the original sterling payment detailed on their bank statement.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
I think the answer to your question relies heavily on just where you have your Citibank account.

If you're banking with a Citibank office in the country where you are resident, they are subject to local banking laws. (This has long been an issue for folks who use Citibank - it's not one big international bank, but rather made up of Citibank affiliates incorporated and operating under individual country banking laws.)

As far as I can find online, TVP International is apparently the agency the UK government works with to distribute UK pensions to pensioners living overseas.

What isn't clear is whether Citibank is your bank or just an intermediary in the pension transaction, working for the UK Pension Centre.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Citibank is the bank that has the contract to deposit UK state pensions in foreign banks in local currency.

No, I am not a customer of Citibank, from the point of view of having an account there (that is why they won't talk to me, in theory), but I think the fact that they take my pension, convert it and deposit it in an account in Bulgaria, constitutes being a customer.

I just don't understand why I am not allowed to know what the original sterling amount is. Even if they "hide" it by passing it as part of the comment in the form of a string of digits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts