Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm in the process of sorting out my visa for emigrating to Australia in 18-24 months. I know I have the points to get a skilled independent visa subclass 175 but am unsure on where to start.

I am looking at either doing the application my self which would invlove (i think) a skills assessment, visa application, medical and police checks. But there seems to be a lot of agencies who will complete these forms for you and basically hold your hand through the process. This does seem appealing but very very expensive.

My first question therefore is, is this process that hard and do I need to pay all this extra money?

My second question is does anyone know where I go to complete my skills assessment forms.

I know I am in the very early stages, but it is all a bit confussing at the moment. Any help will be much appreciated.

Steve smith

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hello

I'm in the process of sorting out my visa for emigrating to Australia in 18-24 months. I know I have the points to get a skilled independent visa subclass 175 but am unsure on where to start.

I am looking at either doing the application my self which would invlove (i think) a skills assessment, visa application, medical and police checks. But there seems to be a lot of agencies who will complete these forms for you and basically hold your hand through the process. This does seem appealing but very very expensive.

My first question therefore is, is this process that hard and do I need to pay all this extra money?

My second question is does anyone know where I go to complete my skills assessment forms.

I know I am in the very early stages, but it is all a bit confussing at the moment. Any help will be much appreciated.

Steve smith
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps you could start by telling us the category you fall into on SOL list. This will help us give advice on what assessments you need done.

There are many people who do the application themselves, and many who use an agent, because they don't have the time to devote to figuring things out. Personally, I don't think its at all complicated, however, i did use an agent myself to double check my work. I was intimately familiar with the visa process, just needed a little reassurance. The good thing is that the application is done online, which save you from having to hand write your forms. I also found the online system a little easier to understand.

Mat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi mat

I have a mechanical engineering masters degree and been working as a mechanical design engineer for the last 4 and a half years. At the moment I am looking at the skilled list and it says mechanical engineer and doesn't going into any further detail. If it's any help I was designing air conditioning and now am designing platform lifts for stannah lifts.

I think I would be happy doing my forms by my self but it sounds a great idea to give my work a second check.

Steve

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Steve:

I think you should give the forms a go yourself.

There's two major areas for you:

1. Engineers Australia skills assessment, you should fall into the Sydney or Washington Accord so recognition of your Engineering degree should be fine.
2. DIAC application, repetitive, but normally simple.

You may want the agent to help you with just the skills assessment and then go for the DIAC application yourself.

If you are detail oriented (and Engineers usually are :D ) then the DIAC forms will be fairly simple.

So first stop:
Engineers Australia Migration Skills Assessment

Then DIAC:
Skilled - Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

OR

Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

Hi mat

I have a mechanical engineering masters degree and been working as a mechanical design engineer for the last 4 and a half years. At the moment I am looking at the skilled list and it says mechanical engineer and doesn't going into any further detail. If it's any help I was designing air conditioning and now am designing platform lifts for stannah lifts.

I think I would be happy doing my forms by my self but it sounds a great idea to give my work a second check.

Steve

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
i figure you fall in CSL, the entire procedure should not take anything beyond a year plus. assessment takes approximately 3 months, CSL applications take about 8 months..

wish you luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
How much does a degree count"for" you?

Myself do not hold any degree (some microsoft certifications), but have a decade in software engineering and development.

Seriously consider making Australia my "last stop". Which bring me to another question...does one have to apply from your home country (where I haven't been in years!)?

Just for incase I might qualify, I send out mails to all my ex-employers to send me a letter for the duration and technologies I used.
Will this suffice to proof myself as 'expert' in my arena (which is on that skills in demand list by the way)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
A degree is the most efficient way to get a positive assessment for skill (this is from the assessing agency for your skill, DIAC itself does not assess you).

To get it by certifications or work experience you need to write a CDR or RPL (a detailed work history and projects description). You would go to your assessing agency to find out the requirements for this. This tends to be a more difficult path as you are trying to convince the assessing agency that your skills and projects are equivalent to a degree + work experience.

Do a forum search for CDR and RPL to find out more related posts. You should also post a new thread if you are asking about CDR/RPL and not post into someone elses thread.

How much does a degree count"for" you?

Myself do not hold any degree (some microsoft certifications), but have a decade in software engineering and development.

Seriously consider making Australia my "last stop". Which bring me to another question...does one have to apply from your home country (where I haven't been in years!)?

Just for incase I might qualify, I send out mails to all my ex-employers to send me a letter for the duration and technologies I used.
Will this suffice to proof myself as 'expert' in my arena (which is on that skills in demand list by the way)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Know I'm being naughty by barging into someone elses thread, but one last question:

If you can manage a job offer before, so you get this "sponsored" visa (still n00b to it all), it's much easier right?

A degree is the most efficient way to get a positive assessment for skill (this is from the assessing agency for your skill, DIAC itself does not assess you).

To get it by certifications or work experience you need to write a CDR or RPL (a detailed work history and projects description). You would go to your assessing agency to find out the requirements for this. This tends to be a more difficult path as you are trying to convince the assessing agency that your skills and projects are equivalent to a degree + work experience.

Do a forum search for CDR and RPL to find out more related posts. You should also post a new thread if you are asking about CDR/RPL and not post into someone elses thread.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Know I'm being naughty by barging into someone elses thread, but one last question:

If you can manage a job offer before, so you get this "sponsored" visa (still n00b to it all), it's much easier right?
Its not much easier but your assessment priority is increased and you will be allotted a CO faster. Ur application will take preceeding over others less priority ones. 176 > 175.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I beg to differ! An employer sponsorship beats everything else. I think it's #1 on the priority list!
yes i never disagreed with that. i said SS takes preceeding over 175.

its like;
#1: Skilled sponsored by employer
#2: skilled sponsored by relative
#3: skilled sponsored by state
#4: skilled independant

1 - 11 of 11 Posts