Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum so I thought to give this a try.

I am an American, living in Clermont Ferrand for 5 years. I have a Carte de Séjour, toutes activités professionelles.

A business located in Kansas City wants to work with me, but neither of us are sure of the way forward. My services would be to oversee the acquisition of his partner's company in Poland. We will not be moving to Poland or setting up a company there. I am looking to understand the options. Under the different options below, what are the implications for the business and what does that mean for me?

Option 1) Set up a subsidiary here in France.
Option 2) Hired as a local agent, is this possible?
Option 3) I set up my own company and he hires my services
Option 4) They set up a start up with me here in France

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
51,325 Posts
Actually, all four of your options are possible. Your best bet might be to contact your local Chambre de Commerce. They usually have a section dedicated to business start-ups and they have loads of information and sometimes even classes you can take on setting up a business in France. The Chambre de Commerce also has very reasonable rates for consultants to advise you on specific situations.

The other organization you might want to contact is the American Chamber of Commerce in Paris. Amcham France They also have facilities available to help American firms establish themselves in France.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Bev,

Thanks for your quick response. I have contacted AMCHAM and they require you to be a member. I have sent a mail to a contact to discuss the membership and services to help explore the options.

I have contacted the CCI here in Clermont to discuss further on their side. Thanks for your direction.

Is anyone familiar with the implications (pros & cons) of the options stated above on a personal (tax) level and also from a company level?

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
51,325 Posts
It's a bit complicated to explain here in simple form, but basically your option (under all 4 of your options noted) is to be an employee of the US company or in the case where you set up a business and sell your services to the US company, then you set up that business either to treat your remuneration as salary or to flow through the net income of the business on your income taxes.

In the event that you become a "salaried" employee, then it's the business that pays the employer portion of your cotisations and then the business pays its own taxes (i.e. corporate income tax). If you flow the net income through to your own tax declaration, you pay your own cotisations as the gérant or owner of the business.

It depends on the type of business involved and how much revenue is involved as to what business forms are available to you and whether the business will be subject to VAT and certain other taxes.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. The AmCham offered no help. They require you to become a member and pay €400. They have no interest in assisting you to their members to have a conversation without paying for membership first. My next stop is the CCI and we will see how that goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts