Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my son and his partner live in Hamilton Ontario, they are expecting baby in July they want me to move out there. I live alone in Portugal so it would be big move. Anyone out there in their 60's who can tell me what it's like..

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Hi my son and his partner live in Hamilton Ontario, they are expecting baby in July they want me to move out there. I live alone in Portugal so it would be big move. Anyone out there in their 60's who can tell me what it's like..
Hamilton is a larger city in Central Ontario. It was a big steel town but much of that has gone now. Because of its former industrial base some parts are old and run down but there are many attractive areas in the city.
I would think living in Portugal, the weather would be of concern to you. This is Canada and we do get some very cold winters, sometimes -20 to -30c, and, of course, there can be lots of snow, not so much this winter. Our summers are generally very nice, but can be humid.
Making changes in one's life requires much compromise. You may well be very will settled and happy in Portugal but miss your family or perhaps living alone, you're lonely. These must be weighed against the living conditions here.
Can you afford to come on vacation for a few months to help determine if you could/want to live here?
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moving to canada

Hamilton is a larger city in Central Ontario. It was a big steel town but much of that has gone now. Because of its former industrial base some parts are old and run down but there are many attractive areas in the city.
I would think living in Portugal, the weather would be of concern to you. This is Canada and we do get some very cold winters, sometimes -20 to -30c, and, of course, there can be lots of snow, not so much this winter. Our summers are generally very nice, but can be humid.
Making changes in one's life requires much compromise. You may well be very will settled and happy in Portugal but miss your family or perhaps living alone, you're lonely. These must be weighed against the living conditions here.
Can you afford to come on vacation for a few months to help determine if you could/want to live here?
Good luck with your decision.
Hi I am also from Scotland.
I have been to Canada a few times and I go out in March for a few weeks.
I have lived in a few countries whilst my husband was alive.
I live alone but am not lonely as many people have retired here and have a good social life.
The weather is a concern but winters are dry cold unlike damp at home.
I suppose it is because the decision is mine alone that I am a bit concerned.
Thanks for your info Auld Yin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.