Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am from the U.S. and currently live in the U.S. with my Scottish wife. We are thinking about trying to move back to Scotland to be near her family but we are having trouble understanding what we need to do this. Do we actually need her to move over to Scotland and find a job paying 18,600 pounds annually before we can even apply for me to get a visa? I currently have a job with a U.S. based non-profit that would allow me to work from Scotland so my job wouldn't have to change. Could that be taken into account? Is there any way that we could get the visa if we just had a certain amount in savings in the UK? Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If you have £62,500 in savings, that would be sufficient. It can be in an account like 401k/403b, can be in either the applicant's sponsor's or both names. But it has to be in cash (not invested), and have been held by you or your wife for at least six months. You don;t have to withdraw the money necessarily, and they don't care if doing so would generate a penalty.

Your earnings don't count for any visa applications unless and until you are in the UK on a visa that allows you to work. So for your next visa, your earnings will count.

Your wife may be able to find a job while still here, or at least get the ball rolling, depending on what it is that she does. Is she originally from Scotland and has a work history and connections there? She should think about putting out some feelers and letting her network know of the plan, but without jeopardising her position here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is originally from Scotland and her whole family still lives there. She has a degree from there and has previously worked a few part time jobs there. How long does she have to have a job paying 18600 pounds before we can apply or is a job offer even sufficient?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It just needs to start within three months of her arrival. So it doesn't need to have held it for any time, she just needs a signed job contract with a start date within three months of your proposed travel date.

What sort of work does she do?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has a degree in biology/physiology so she'd like something in a lab of some sort. But she's open to plenty of other jobs as well.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
It just needs to start within three months of her arrival. So it doesn't need to have held it for any time, she just needs a signed job contract with a start date within three months of your proposed travel date.

What sort of work does she do?
Sorry to jump in Pally but that is providing she has been earning in excess of £18 600 in the states..

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
She has a degree in biology/physiology so she'd like something in a lab of some sort. But she's open to plenty of other jobs as well.
I have a BA in biology too! She should be able to find something or get the ball rolling by applying for positions online. If she can get herself over there and be in a position to interview ahead of time, that might help. She could start with indeed.co.uk to get an idea of where the jobs are and what they pay.

You may end up needing to go over at slightly different times. However you can get a second US passport which will allow you to travel, even to the UK, while you wait for the visa to be processed. So this might help a bit with the transition.

Keep in mind that without a visa that permits work, you can't legally do your US job even though it's virtual. They consider this to be a violation, and if they caught you, it would be black mark on your record. So if you are on a visit visa, leave the work laptop at home.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
She is originally from Scotland and her whole family still lives there. She has a degree from there and has previously worked a few part time jobs there. How long does she have to have a job paying 18600 pounds before we can apply or is a job offer even sufficient?
She would need to work at the new job for 6 months

Read the following document carefully to see how you can qualify:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...337420/Annex_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Is she working now?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is working now but just in a minimum wage hourly job. She hasn't gotten a full-time job because we have been hoping we might move back to Scotland...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
She has to work in a the same job earning the equivalent of £18,600 per annum for a minimum of six months. If it's here, she would need to also have a job lined up at that salary in Scotland starting within 3 months of your anticipated arrival. Or she could just go there and work for 6 months.

Regarding the savings route, could any family gift you some money to get you to the required amount? There is the option of combining savings with earnings - combining category A with D.

You'll have took over your the financial requirements and see which category is going to work the best for your situation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much would need to be in savings? Also does my salary not come into account at all? Currently we're living off of my salary in the u.s. and my salary would stay the same if we moved.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Your salary will only count when you are working in the UK on a visa that permits work. So for the next visa, you'll be able to combine your incomes, which should make things easier.

·
Super Moderator
17,949 Posts
Crawford has given you a link to FM 1.7 which details the different ways to meet the financial requirement. Please take the time to read through it.

From what you have said, you options are going to be having £62,500 in savings held for 6. Months untouched in a readily accessible account or she returns to Scotland and finds a job earning at least £18,600/year and once she has had that job for 6 months you can apply for a spouse visa from the US and once granted you can join her.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Just something else to think about..... your wife has only recently moved to the US on a spouse visa; so you know how long this process can take and what it entails.

If your wife leaves the US and is absent for more than, say, two years, her Green card status will probably lapse and, should you decide to move back to the US, you will have to go through the immigration process again.

It's only when one has citizenship that one can just come and go, freely between countries.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would it be possible for for my wife to move back to Scotland and find a job and I go with her. I believe I could stay for 6 months on a family visitor visa while she works her first 6 months. Then when my 6 months has run out and she has worked for 6 months could I return to the U.S. and apply for the spouse visa?

·
Super Moderator
17,949 Posts
Most people can't take a 6 month vacation. You'll need to be able to show strong ties to the US. That includes a job to return to, rent or mortgage to pay or some other obligation to return to along with a return ticket. If you can't show convincing proof tgat you'll return to the US you'll face refusal. You won't be able to work or volunteer.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Would it be possible for for my wife to move back to Scotland and find a job and I go with her. I believe I could stay for 6 months on a family visitor visa while she works her first 6 months. Then when my 6 months has run out and she has worked for 6 months could I return to the U.S. and apply for the spouse visa?
You won't be able to work during those 6 months - hence why strong ties to the US are required as most people do not get 6 months off work, nor could manage without income for all that length of time; so officials get suspicious about "under the table" working. No guarantee that she would get a job within the first few months either, plenty don't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.