Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Q1do you get the biometrics done before you send in spouse visa for hopefully returning from us to uk with American wife
Q2 we live in orlando do we send VAF4A to new york office thank you all for your help happy st pats day

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
Hi all
Q1 do you get the biometrics done before you send in spouse visa for hopefully returning from us to uk with American wife
Q2 we live in orlando do we send VAF4A to new york office thank you all for your help happy st pats day
I've started a new thread.
You make your application online, pay the fees and as part of the application process, you are directed to Application Support Centers covering your State for your biometric appointment. So you apply first and go for biometrics a few days later (usually).

You don't complete VAF4A but the online form, and then download and print out and sign it and enclose it together with stamped biometric receipt with your supporting documents. Your package is then sent to UKBA NY hub.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've started a new thread.
You make your application online, pay the fees and as part of the application process, you are directed to Application Support Centers covering your State for your biometric appointment. So you apply first and go for biometrics a few days later (usually).

You don't complete VAF4A but the online form, and then download and print out and sign it and enclose it together with stamped biometric receipt with your supporting documents. Your package is then sent to UKBA NY hub.
Joppa this is a question for you, so how quickly after you get your application done online do you get an appointment for your biometrics data to be done? i have been reading that they have mobile ones and things like that but if i get everything done and from the time i file to the time i want to leave will be about 60 days. do you think that would give then enough time to check my application?
thanks if you can help on this matter

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
Joppa this is a question for you, so how quickly after you get your application done online do you get an appointment for your biometrics data to be done? i have been reading that they have mobile ones and things like that but if i get everything done and from the time i file to the time i want to leave will be about 60 days. do you think that would give then enough time to check my application?
thanks if you can help on this matter
It can be within a few days in most cases. In Maryland you have Application Support Centers (ASCs) where biometrics are done in Baltimore, Salisbury and Wheaton, plus Alexandria, Dover and Pittsburgh service MD too.

60 days is ample. You can post-date your visa by 3 months, but be careful what you put down as your (intended) travel date. If, as it usually happens nowadays, your visa is issued very quickly - normal processing time is only 4 days, but if you put your travel date as 2 months from now, that's the date your visa will be valid from and they won't reissue it even if you want to travel out sooner. So if you are in a postion to leave US before 60 days, then put an earlier travel date. You have 3 months' leeway after you meet 2 years of residence and before your visa expires if you enter UK on the first day of validity. This will be cut as you postpone your arrival.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok is that even if I am filing for spousal visa?? Wow. Im on with not being able to travel sooner if it gets accepted that quickly.

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
Ok is that even if I am filing for spousal visa?? Wow. Im on with not being able to travel sooner if it gets accepted that quickly.
The total turnaround time from making online application, getting biometrics done, sending off supporting documents and getthing them back with your visa is around 10 days on average. This isn't guaranteed and if you have issues, such as poor UK immigration history or borderline maintenance requirement, it can take longer.

So normally put something like 3-4 weeks ahead as your travel date to give you time to buy your plane ticket and packing up etc without cutting too much into your allotted timespan.

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
So do you have to have an actual ticket to apply???
No. Read what I've said. Give yourself time to buy your ticket at a reasonable price after you get your visa. All you need to state on application is your intended itinerary - just print out the flight plan you'd like to take when your visa is issued.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok I was just curious I thought they wanted definite plans like that you already purchased it. Awesome. Thank you so so much againg you are such a huge help!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am not able to figure out how to make a new thread so I decided to post under this thread.

We are planning to move to the UK around June this year. I have not yet applied for my settlement visa. My husband is a UK citizen and I am a US citizen. We have been married for 25 years.

I will need to leave for the UK before him with the animals and two kids (age 18 and 20 - not really kids anymore). He has to stay behind in the USA for about 2 weeks before joining me in the UK. My question is will I be allowed to enter on my settlement visa if my husband does not arrive with me? We will already have rented a house by the time I arrive.

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
I am not able to figure out how to make a new thread so I decided to post under this thread.

We are planning to move to the UK around June this year. I have not yet applied for my settlement visa. My husband is a UK citizen and I am a US citizen. We have been married for 25 years.

I will need to leave for the UK before him with the animals and two kids (age 18 and 20 - not really kids anymore). He has to stay behind in the USA for about 2 weeks before joining me in the UK. My question is will I be allowed to enter on my settlement visa if my husband does not arrive with me? We will already have rented a house by the time I arrive.
You cannot arrive in UK on settlement visa before your husband. But your adult children can because presumably they are dual nationals.

Your (British) husband, wife or civil partner must be:
currently living and settled in the UK; or
returning to the UK with you to live here permanently (if you are currently outside the UK).

UK Border Agency | Can you apply?

Two weeks isn't very long so can you re-arrange travel dates so that you can arrive together, with your adult children perhaps travelling ahead of you to start sorting things?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you very much for your response.

Another issue I would like clarity on is that my husband will continue to work for the USA company that currently employs him when he settles back in the UK. They will be paying him in the UK and he will pay all the UK taxes and assessments in return.

Would this satisfy UKBA as far as him having a job and earning an income in the UK?

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
Thank you very much for your response.

Another issue I would like clarity on is that my husband will continue to work for the USA company that currently employs him when he settles back in the UK. They will be paying him in the UK and he will pay all the UK taxes and assessments in return.

Would this satisfy UKBA as far as him having a job and earning an income in the UK?
That will be perfectly fine. You need to enclose the details of the job being offered with salary, on official company stationery for your visa application.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you once again.

Another leg of my problem is that we are taking my son's girlfriend with us. She will be applying for a student visa and her classes start September 24th. We are planning to arrive with her on the 2nd of July.

I have read on this forum that she can enter on a visitors visa then hop across to France or Ireland to come back into the UK to activate her student visa. How long before classes start can she come into the country on the student visa? Can this cause her to be denied entry as a visitor by the UKBA - is she more likely to be denied entry doing this than if she were a regular tourist with no student visa coming for a 2 month vacation?

Also my son is a UK citizen and she a USA citizen. She is coming to the UK with him on a student visa. Can this cause complications if the UKBA sees that they are in a relationship?

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
Thank you once again.

Another leg of my problem is that we are taking my son's girlfriend with us. She will be applying for a student visa and her classes start September 24th. We are planning to arrive with her on the 2nd of July.

I have read on this forum that she can enter on a visitors visa then hop across to France or Ireland to come back into the UK to activate her student visa. How long before classes start can she come into the country on the student visa? Can this cause her to be denied entry as a visitor by the UKBA - is she more likely to be denied entry doing this than if she were a regular tourist with no student visa coming for a 2 month vacation?
Her student visa is likely to be valid a month before the start of her course (if it's longer then 6 months). She can turn up on 2nd July and try to be admitted as visitor, but she needs to tell the immigration what she is doing, where she is going to stay and that she will leave UK and re-enter when student visa becomes valid. She will need proof of funds, such as latest bank statement and ticket out of UK, such as a short trip to France. Whether she is admitted or not is at the discretion of UK Border Force (immigration service at UK ports). It's really better to arrive a month before when her student visa kicks in, or bypass UK altogether and have a holiday together in continental Europe and enter UK later.

Also my son is a UK citizen and she a USA citizen. She is coming to the UK with him on a student visa. Can this cause complications if the UKBA sees that they are in a relationship?
Not necessarily, provided she is a bona-fide student with a visa and a place on the course.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi I am new to expat forum so I hope I am posting in the correct place. My husband is a citizen of the UK however he is a permanant resident of Australia and has been for over 25 yrs ( I am an Australian Citizen), We want to move to Scotland permanantly. I have an Australian Passport as does my daughter. I would like to know if any one has information on UK passport for my daughter e.g can she get one and my visa application. I am applying for a settlement visa. We have been married for 7 yrs. I want to know if it will take a long time for me to get a visa as I want to put my daughter into school for the start of the new school year (August in Scotland). We hope to have about 25000 Australian dollars + before we leave will this be enough money for my husband to sponsor me. We won't have jobs until we get there and look for work. We can stay with my husbands family until we get a place etc. We dont have a lot of debt here however I do have a HECS debt will that affect my visa. I am sure I have plenty of other questions but I will wait for replies before I get to them. Thanks in advance for any help I get

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
Hi I am new to expat forum so I hope I am posting in the correct place.
Welcome to the forum! Yes, your question is relevant to this thread.

My husband is a citizen of the UK however he is a permanant resident of Australia and has been for over 25 yrs ( I am an Australian Citizen), We want to move to Scotland permanantly. I have an Australian Passport as does my daughter. I would like to know if any one has information on UK passport for my daughter e.g can she get one and my visa application.
You should apply for your daughter's British passport first. All passports are now printed in UK and sent out, so I'd allow up to a month. Go to 'UK in Australia' site under 'Passport.'

I am applying for a settlement visa. We have been married for 7 yrs. I want to know if it will take a long time for me to get a visa as I want to put my daughter into school for the start of the new school year (August in Scotland).
Average processing time in Australia seems to be around 2-3 weeks but this can vary of course.

We hope to have about 25000 Australian dollars + before we leave will this be enough money for my husband to sponsor me. We won't have jobs until we get there and look for work. We can stay with my husbands family until we get a place etc. We dont have a lot of debt here however I do have a HECS debt will that affect my visa. I am sure I have plenty of other questions but I will wait for replies before I get to them.
That's about £16,400 and is a good amount of savings. Plus housing help from relatives should be enough. You must get an offer in writing from his family, enclosing size of property (number of bedrooms; you need two rooms if your child is over a year old), how many will be living and proof of ownership/occupation such as mortgage statement and utility bills. Enclose your and your husband's CVs plus sample job vacancies you may be qualified to go for with salary offered. This helps with your UK job prospect. Your debt doesn't have to be disclosed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Yes, your question is relevant to this thread.

You should apply for your daughter's British passport first. All passports are now printed in UK and sent out, so I'd allow up to a month. Go to 'UK in Australia' site under 'Passport.'

Average processing time in Australia seems to be around 2-3 weeks but this can vary of course.

That's about £16,400 and is a good amount of savings. Plus housing help from relatives should be enough. You must get an offer in writing from his family, enclosing size of property (number of bedrooms; you need two rooms if your child is over a year old), how many will be living and proof of ownership/occupation such as mortgage statement and utility bills. Enclose your and your husband's CVs plus sample job vacancies you may be qualified to go for with salary offered. This helps with your UK job prospect. Your debt doesn't have to be disclosed.
Thanks for your help Joppa.

The money we will have to go to the UK is not in our bank yet we are selling my business and my husband is taking all of his Australian Superannuation. I do work full time at the moment and own a small business the one we are selling. my husband is also not working at the moment. We are thinking of putting the money straight into a HSBC account so we can access it in the UK so our bank statements will only show our savings for a couple of weeks before I apply for my visa. I also have a spent criminal conviction from 13yrs ago (nothing horrible or anything but it cannot be removed from my police clearance. Do you think this will affect my visa process or hold it up.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts

The money we will have to go to the UK is not in our bank yet we are selling my business and my husband is taking all of his Australian Superannuation. I do work full time at the moment and own a small business the one we are selling. my husband is also not working at the moment. We are thinking of putting the money straight into a HSBC account so we can access it in the UK so our bank statements will only show our savings for a couple of weeks before I apply for my visa. I also have a spent criminal conviction from 13yrs ago (nothing horrible or anything but it cannot be removed from my police clearance. Do you think this will affect my visa process or hold it up.

Thanks
I forgot to add that I read another post re biometric info. It stated that in the US there are mobile biometrics. I live in South Australia but the only biometric places are in Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and Perth. Do you know of any mobile ones in Australia or do I have to fly to another state to get it done, also should I get biometric done before applying for my visa

Thanks again

·
Registered
39,032 Posts

The money we will have to go to the UK is not in our bank yet we are selling my business and my husband is taking all of his Australian Superannuation. I do work full time at the moment and own a small business the one we are selling. my husband is also not working at the moment. We are thinking of putting the money straight into a HSBC account so we can access it in the UK so our bank statements will only show our savings for a couple of weeks before I apply for my visa.
That's fine. Just attach a note explaining the source of funds. Some people borrow money off friends etc to boost the bank balance for visa application, and as soon as it's approved, they return the money. So you need to make it clear it's your money from sale of business - perhaps enclosing receipt etc.

I also have a spent criminal conviction from 13yrs ago (nothing horrible or anything but it cannot be removed from my police clearance. Do you think this will affect my visa process or hold it up.
You have to declare it. I wouldn't have thought so, provided you explain briefly the circusmtances, how you have taken full responsibility and learnt from it and have now moved on (won't happen again).

I forgot to add that I read another post re biometric info. It stated that in the US there are mobile biometrics. I live in South Australia but the only biometric places are in Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and Perth. Do you know of any mobile ones in Australia or do I have to fly to another state to get it done, also should I get biometric done before applying for my visa?
No, you have to get it done at HC or one of the consulates listed. See UK Border Agency | Biometric enrolment centres in Australia English. They may do special biometrics for you at a location of your choice, but there is a hefty fee, like thousands of dollars. Only worthwhile if you are part of a large family group applying together.

You make an online appoitment for biometrics as part of your online application, i.e. after you submit it online, you are prompted to book an appointment at one of the centres.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.