Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am a British citizen who married a US citizen in 2008 and we currently live in America. In january 2014 we plan to relocate to the UK. My wife has begun the spouse visa process and submitted the online form, paid the fee and today attended biometrics.

But we have some questions:
FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT
As sponsor I'm solely using the cash savings option and using savings from my UK Barclays bank account. I just realised I need 6 months of bank statements on official stationary and I only have e-statements and I cannot visit a branch of Barclays bank as i'm not in the UK.
1) If the bank urgently mailed me 6 months of official paper statements, would that be all the evidence I require?
2) Is it really necessary that the statements are officially stamped on each page?
3) Do I also need a letter from the bank verifying the statements?
4) If I satisfy the cash savings evidence with my UK bank account does that mean we don't need to provide any of our US financial info e.g US bank statements, tax returns, employment income?

ACCOMMODATION
Upon arrival we will stay temporarily with my sister and her family in a spare bedroom of the house they live in and own. I will include a signed letter from my sister and her husband stating approval of our stay and info about the accommodation.
1) Do I need a housing inspection report?
3) Does my sister, her husband and their children need to provide proof of ID, residence or UK nationality?
4) Does my sister need to provide proof of home ownership such as council tax, utility bills etc?

OTHER QUESTIONS
1) This may be a particularly stupid question! Am I correct that the application must be submitted within a 3 month window prior to the desired emigration date? I find the official wording a tad confusing
"You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. Applications received more than 3 months before your date of travel will be returned without a visa and without a refund of the application fee"
2) Do the passport photos have to be in UK size format? We are currently in USA which uses a different size.
3) Do either my wife or I need to supply birth certificates?

Here is my proposed document checklist, if you think i'm missing anything please let me know.
-prepaid international return shipping label, waybill or self-addressed envelope
-2 UK sized passport photos of applicant
-priority service receipt
-printed online form
-printed appendix 2 form
-applicants stamped biometric confirmation
-introduction letter from applicant
-introduction letter from sponsor
-applicants original US passport
-applicants old US passport
-copy of sponsors passport
-applicants original US birth certificate
-copy of sponsors UK birth certificate
-original marriage certificate
-letter from sponsors sister stating approval to accommodate us and accommodation info.
-print out of proposed travel itinerary
-6 months of sponsors UK bank statements for financial requirement evidence
-Letter from sponsor regarding bank account info and stating how it meets requirements
-photographs of us on holidays and of our wedding
-letter from applicants parents verifying relationship
-letter from sponsors family verifying relationship
-proof of US cohabitation: A few sample copies from our USA joint bank account statements
-proof of US cohabitation: copies of tenancy agreements
-proof of US cohabitation: few samples of shared utilities

Thanks!
Raj

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
If you send a copy of your UK passport, you do not need to send your birth certificate in as well.

Omit the letters from friends and family. They are not needed and will likely be ignored... the letter from your sister indicating that she is amenable to having you and your wife stay in her residence is good and should be sent in.

Reactions: Raj80

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Hello,
I am a British citizen who married a US citizen in 2008 and we currently live in America. In january 2014 we plan to relocate to the UK. My wife has begun the spouse visa process and submitted the online form, paid the fee and today attended biometrics.

But we have some questions:
FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT
As sponsor I'm solely using the cash savings option and using savings from my UK Barclays bank account. I just realised I need 6 months of bank statements on official stationary and I only have e-statements and I cannot visit a branch of Barclays bank as i'm not in the UK.
1) If the bank urgently mailed me 6 months of official paper statements, would that be all the evidence I require?
2) Is it really necessary that the statements are officially stamped on each page?
3) Do I also need a letter from the bank verifying the statements?
You need either originals, copies with each and every page stamped or copies with a letter on official bank stationery confirming their validity.

4) If I satisfy the cash savings evidence with my UK bank account does that mean we don't need to provide any of our US financial info e.g US bank statements, tax returns, employment income?
If your UK accounts meet the financial requirement you don't need anything further.

ACCOMMODATION
Upon arrival we will stay temporarily with my sister and her family in a spare bedroom of the house they live in and own. I will include a signed letter from my sister and her husband stating approval of our stay and info about the accommodation.
1) Do I need a housing inspection report?
It's a good idea to get a property inspection report.

3) Does my sister, her husband and their children need to provide proof of ID, residence or UK nationality?
No.

4) Does my sister need to provide proof of home ownership such as council tax, utility bills etc?
Yes. You'll need the deed or land registry and a council tax bill.

OTHER QUESTIONS
1) This may be a particularly stupid question! Am I correct that the application must be submitted within a 3 month window prior to the desired emigration date? I find the official wording a tad confusing
"You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. Applications received more than 3 months before your date of travel will be returned without a visa and without a refund of the application fee"
If you applied today you could have requested a travel date no later than 28 January 2014.

2) Do the passport photos have to be in UK size format? We are currently in USA which uses a different size.
Yes.
3) Do either my wife or I need to supply birth certificates?
No.

Here is my proposed document checklist, if you think i'm missing anything please let me know.
-prepaid international return shipping label, waybill or self-addressed envelope
-2 UK sized passport photos of applicant
-priority service receipt
-printed online form
-printed appendix 2 form
-applicants stamped biometric confirmation
-introduction letter from applicant
-introduction letter from sponsor
-applicants original US passport
-applicants old US passport
-copy of sponsors passport
-applicants original US birth certificate
-copy of sponsors UK birth certificate
-original marriage certificate
-letter from sponsors sister stating approval to accommodate us and accommodation info.
-print out of proposed travel itinerary
-6 months of sponsors UK bank statements for financial requirement evidence
-Letter from sponsor regarding bank account info and stating how it meets requirements
Not necessary. You're applying under Category D and you have the statements to back that up.

-photographs of us on holidays and of our wedding
-letter from applicants parents verifying relationship
-letter from sponsors family verifying relationship
These are subjective and so hold no weight and won't be considered.

-proof of US cohabitation: A few sample copies from our USA joint bank account statements
Everything needs to be an original.

-proof of US cohabitation: copies of tenancy agreements
-proof of US cohabitation: few samples of shared utilities

Thanks!
Raj[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Thanks Nyclon, that's a great help.
One further question,

Should I send originals plus a photocopy or just a photocopy?
Send originals of everything. And you need to send copies of everything.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Passport photos

I couldn't find a location that could take the UK format photos, so I just sent the US photos. My visa was granted in 10 business days.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Interesting, thanks. Did you use the priority service?
Yes, I did. I thought mine was done quickly (in early September), but there have been a few from the US recently that were processed in a matter of 3-5 days. It is $300 from the US and I thought it was worth it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update. Barclays bank were unable to send 6 months of original colour statements but will instead stamp every page of a copy and mail it to me first class later today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.