Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I think I've sorted out the financial requirement issue, and am now trying to figure out when to apply.

The visa is for 33 months. We want to move June 23rd. So if visa is good for 33 months I should be sure it's not issued before March 23rd, so we can reapply for another 30 months down the road, etc. But I also want to give time for approval, in case there's a backlog.

What if I apply March 1st and it's very slow or I need an appeal. We miss our June departure. What if it's February 1st and they process fast, then we are stuck being in the UK for 59 months and can't apply for leave to remain before the spouse visa expires.

Advice?

·
Registered
631 Posts
According to the UKBA you can't apply for a visa before 3 month prior to your planned moving date. So if you apply on March one, but are not planning on moving until June 23, then you can be (it has happened on here before) denied the visa because you are not qualified (not planning to move within 3 months).

M

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
The earliest you can apply is 23rd March (3 months before your intended travel date, which you must quote). Then normally, when approved, your visa will be valid from 23rd June for 33 months. But there is a chance that Home Office will ignore your travel date and make the visa valid from the issue date. This isn't an unmitigated disaster, but will cut into the time you have available for moving to UK, and after 2.5 years, for applying for renewal. So bear this in mind in your planning, and make sure you can actually travel on 23rd June. Don't buy your ticket in advance but ensure you will be otherwise ready to travel out on 23rd June.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So the extra 3 months is to allow for processing time not planning time? I'd think that you'd get 33 months from date of issue, giving you three months to plan travel once approved for visa.

What if we plan to travel June 23rd, so we apply March 23rd. They take 6 weeks to decide. Now I need to find 4 plane tickets with 6 weeks notice?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, that's the case. By using priority in US, you are likely to get your visa within a week or two, sometimes less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.