Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been working for 8 months abroad at more than £18,600, and I have a job offer in the UK of £19,200. My employer abroad gave me pays lips every time he gave me a (cash) salary. I have the bank statements. He will provide me a letter confirming he employs me, the length of employment and the salary. I'm also getting character references from colleagues saying I work there.

My employer (a) cannot provide tax returns saying he employs me at the salary he pays me and (b) did not pay the salary straight into my account (I was paid in cash). Does anyone know if this is going to be a problem? The immigration advisor I'm working with is worried about this.

Would appreciate any advice,

Dan

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, to evidence your overseas job, taxes must have been paid. If your payslips show gross and net pay, that will suffice. To benefit from your pre-tax income, the whole of your cash pay has to be deposited in a bank. If only part of your earnings is paid into your account, only the actual amount deposited (after tax) will count.

If you are being professionally advised, please direct all queries to them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, to evidence your overseas job, taxes must have been paid. If your payslips show gross and net pay, that will suffice. To benefit from your pre-tax income, the whole of your cash pay has to be deposited in a bank. If only part of your earnings is paid into your account, only the actual amount deposited (after tax) will count.

If you are being professionally advised, please direct all queries to them.
Thanks for the reply, Joppa.

I get paid the equivalent of £2,000 a month in cash. My boss pays some tax on that, but he doesn't declare the whole amount (here employers normally pay tax rather than employees). I have always deposited the whole £2,000 into my account. I have those banks statements and the other evidence, mentioned above. What I think I hear you saying is that this should be recognised as valid employmnet over the income threshold?

Dan

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Your employer's tax affairs isn't your concern. Do your payslips show both before and after tax amounts? Then you are in the clear. And if you bank the whole of your cash payment, then the entire pre-tax amount will count towards the financial requirement. Remember your payslips and bank statement have to be professionally translated if not in English.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your employer's tax affairs isn't your concern. Do your payslips show both before and after tax amounts? Then you are in the clear. And if you bank the whole of your cash payment, then the entire pre-tax amount will count towards the financial requirement. Remember your payslips and bank statement have to be professionally translated if not in English.
Hi Joppa,

Thanks. I don't know what my employer pays in tax - the job I do was advertised at £2,000 a month (after tax) and that's what I get paid. I don't know the pre-tax amount and he may not want to put that in writing as it'll show he doesn't pay the correct amount of tax. So do my payslips still have to include a pre and post tax figure for the UKBA? I do bank the full £2,000 every month (in anticipation of the visa application).

About translations, the payslips are in English. The bank statements are in both local language and English.

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.