Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I contacted a lawyer that my insurance provides here in the US and he said he couldn't advise me on any questions, as they only cover people coming into the US and is not aware of UK requirements. That's kind of screwed me over, but at least I can come here and ask my random questions! Here it goes:

1. I'm really confused on when I can change my name. Everything will be in my maiden name (visa (I assume), passport, any other identification) if I changed it when I got over there, if that's possible, would I need a new passport, then would it need to be a UK one or a US one. Sorry, lots of confusion there!

2. This may sound random but what do I actually put all my documents in to mail them? A binder? Should I just clip them into sections?

3. Also my fiance lives with his father and that's where we'll stay until we find our own place. His dad owns the home so, how does he go about getting proof of residence? Should his dad just write a letter or what?

4. Registering our marriage in the UK. Is this necessary? Will my name need to be changed to do this (IDs and whatnot)?

5. We are getting married by an ordained minster. This is valid in Texas, will it matter if he's not licensed when it comes to the visa? Or is it just as long as it's a valid marriage license?

6. I'm really confused about the biometrics. When I check the timeline everyone has the date they sent their documents in and then the biometrics date is after that by a few days. Will I get the biometrics before I send in docs and wait for results to send it all in at once?

I know this is a lot and anything you can answer would be so helpful! Thanks for your patience!!

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
So I contacted a lawyer that my insurance provides here in the US and he said he couldn't advise me on any questions, as they only cover people coming into the US and is not aware of UK requirements. That's kind of screwed me over, but at least I can come here and ask my random questions! Here it goes:

1. I'm really confused on when I can change my name. Everything will be in my maiden name (visa (I assume), passport, any other identification) if I changed it when I got over there, if that's possible, would I need a new passport, then would it need to be a UK one or a US one. Sorry, lots of confusion there!
You don't have to change your name and if you don't change your name on your passport before you apply you might want to wait until your spouse visa comes up for renewal and change everything at the same time. You will not be eligible for a UK passport until you have lived in the UK on a spouse visa for 5 years, gained ILR and the citizenship. If you update your US passport after you greet your visa you'll have to travel with both passports and your marriage certificate.

2. This may sound random but what do I actually put all my documents in to mail them? A binder? Should I just clip them into sections?
No binders or clips. Put everything is a logical order, all financial together, all accommodations together, all relationship together and all copies in the same order. Tie originals with string and the identical copies separately safe with string.

3. Also my fiance lives with his father and that's where we'll stay until we find our own place. His dad owns the home so, how does he go about getting proof of residence? Should his dad just write a letter or what?
His father will need to write a letter inviting you to stay. He'll also need to supply you with the deed or land registry and the council tax bill.

4. Registering our marriage in the UK. Is this necessary? Will my name need to be changed to do this (IDs and whatnot)?
Not necessary.
5. We are getting married by an ordained minster. This is valid in Texas, will it matter if he's not licensed when it comes to the visa? Or is it just as long as it's a valid marriage license?
A valid marriage license is fine.

6. I'm really confused about the biometrics. When I check the timeline everyone has the date they sent their documents in and then the biometrics date is after that by a few days. Will I get the biometrics before I send in docs and wait for results to send it all in at once?
You don't post your documents until after you have done biometrics.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts

Keep everything in your maiden name until shortly before you renew your visa in 30 months. When you get a new passport in your married name and renew your leave, then your passport and biometric residence permit will both be in your new name. When you renew your passport and until you get your BRP, you have to travel with both passports.

No binder or folder of any kind. Make two piles, for originals and copies, and put documents loosely in logical order like financials, accommodation and relationship. Tie each bundle with strings, and then put both together with more strings. For passports and other valuable documents, you can put them in a see-thru plastic wallet for protection.

Apart from the letter, you need proof of ownership like mortgage statement and land registry title certificate, and as proof of occupation you require council tax or utility bills. You are advised to get a property inspection report done by local council.

Registering our marriage in the UK. Is this necessary? Will my name need to be changed to do this (IDs and whatnot)?
Unnecessary. US marriage is fully valid.

We are getting married by an ordained minster. This is valid in Texas, will it matter if he's not licensed when it comes to the visa? Or is it just as long as it's a valid marriage license?
You need a State marriage certificate. Take the signed license to vital records, have the marriage registered and get certificates. This usually takes a few days.

When you apply online, at the end of it you are prompted to book a biometric appointment at nearly application support center (there are several covering your state). After you give biometrics, you get a stamped receipt, which you must enclose with your supporting documents and ship to Sheffield UK.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I wanted to change my name is there any way at all to do it? Would it mean changing it before the actual wedding and applying for a passport in the new name?

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
So if I wanted to change my name is there any way at all to do it? Would it mean changing it before the actual wedding and applying for a passport in the new name?
I don't believe in the US you can change your name before you are married without going to court or at the very least it would require the filing of some sort of legal documents.

If you want to change your name on your passport you can do it after the wedding you will just have to wait until you receive your passport back to apply for your spouse visa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.