Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a permanent resident of Australia. I wanted some info on visa subclass 309(offshore spouse visa). I tried the DIAC site but couldn't get answers to following queries:
- For married applicant, does the sponsor need to show proof of financial assets to support the spouse? If yes, what's the approximate amount?
- For married applicant, is there any requirement of minimum period of stay together after marriage & before applying for the visa. I know there is a 12 month minimum requirement for de-facto(subclass 100) visa but am not sure about married applicants.
- For married applicant, is there any minimum residency requirement for the sponsor before he/she can sponsor the spouse visa

I would really appreciate if someone could provide some info on these points.

Thanks!

·
Registered
974 Posts
You can get all of the best information about the visa in this booklet:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

In regards to finances, it's one of the categories of evidence you need to show to prove that you are in a genuine relationship (you need to show who supports who, if you share your money, etc.). If DIAC deems that you have insufficient finances to support your spouse, they can ask for an Assurance of Support, so it's probably best to show that you can support them anyway - there is no exact figure, if you have a job then that's a good sign that you are stable and can support them.

No, you don't need to have lived together for a minimum period of time, but you still need proof that the relationship is genuine (see page 39-40 in the booklet)

For a permanent resident to be a sponsor, you just need to show that you are indeed settled in Australia (ie: you have a place to stay and have a job).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.