Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a few questions and I would really appreciate it if you could help me.

I'm a student and I get around £5000 tax free maintenance grant per year. I also have 2 jobs and my salary totals to roughly £12,000. The UKBA state that you can combine maintenance grant with your employment income and if the grant is tax free it should total £15,800. Is this correct?

How do they look at the maintenance grant I know it says it should be given over a period of 12months but how is it calculated with my income?

Finally, one of my jobs is salaried and the other non salaried does that mean they will average over 12 months or take the lowest salary and times by 6?

Thank you in advance =)

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
What is means is when your tax-free grant and after tax income from jobs are added together, it should come to at least £15,800. So you need after-tax income of £10,800 from your two jobs.
Your grant must be payable for at least a year from the date of application, so if you are already in the last year of your course, you can't use your grant.
Two jobs are worked out differently. For your salaried, take the lowest amount in the last 6 months and multiply by 12, and for non-salaried, take the average, i.e. add up what you have earned in 6 months and double it. If you have been in both jobs for more than a year, you can apply under Cat B, and if at least 6 months, under Cat A. Under Cat B for salaried job, just take the total income earned over 12 months.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply Joppa. So if I earn around £12,000 with tax then I can apply right? Sorry if I sound silly but I need reassurance of whether to apply this year. I still have a couple years of my degree left. I have only just started work in October for one of my jobs (non salaried) and the other I have been working for 2 years. Can I apply in August or is it best to wait until October?

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
You need to earn £10,800 after tax, so it will be £13,500 before tax.
While you can apply in August under Cat A, you can wait until Oct and apply under Cat B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.