Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner of 18 months is having to return to Australia (Perth - his hometown) in November / December and I am wanting to join him as soon as poss. Just started to research the type of Visa I will need... any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
If you have been living together for 12 months and can show that in documents (i.e. shared bills, etc.) then you can apply for a spouse visa (do a search on the forum as it's been discussed before). If you can get on the ball quickly you may be able to get it in time for December (November is possible, but only if processing is completely smooth).

My partner of 18 months is having to return to Australia (Perth - his hometown) in November / December and I am wanting to join him as soon as poss. Just started to research the type of Visa I will need... any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have been living together for 12 months and can show that in documents (i.e. shared bills, etc.) then you can apply for a spouse visa (do a search on the forum as it's been discussed before). If you can get on the ball quickly you may be able to get it in time for December (November is possible, but only if processing is completely smooth).
Thanks for that. Do we have to have been living together for the whole 12 months? Also, any idea of costs for police checks, medicals etc.. Also, is there a cost for him or just myself?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
The cost should be just for you, as he would be the sponsoring spouse (he does have AU PR or Citizenship right?).

All costs are on the immi website, basically there are (3) main costs:
1. Health Check
2. Police Check
3. Visa application

Some additional costs might be notary or stamping fees but they vary and aren't large compared to the above (3). The visa application charge is published on the Immi website (search for Spouse visa). Health check and Police check fees vary by country.

Thanks for that. Do we have to have been living together for the whole 12 months? Also, any idea of costs for police checks, medicals etc.. Also, is there a cost for him or just myself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Best way get yourself an agent complete the 407 and apply for the marital visa. If your partner has good standing and is resident or as said a citizen he can sponsor you. What will be taken into account is deff the requirment for how long you have been together and proof will deff need to be provided.On application as long as you pass the medical and police checks and the paperwork goes through the correct channels you can wait up to 9 months as there is a back log of 2 months at this time.Please make sure that you take the hiv blood test with the medical as some ( not all ) doctors have it on their system as not required. IT IS AND WILL DELAY YOU . when your medical goes to the AHC this could be 6-9 month and your partner will have to fill as many forms as you and provide residential addresses and also earnings. If you need further help please ask and i will go into more detail good luck:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
There's a great generic email that Australia House sends out in response to enquiries about spouse visas. Unfortunately, due to forum restrictions I can neither post it here (it's too long) or post a link to it (I'm too junior). Your best bet is to put the string below into google (keep the speech marks).

"Partner migration refers to applications for entry to Australia made by the married or de facto spouse"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW!! Amazing info on that link, thank you so much. Do you know if they do any kind of credit checks on you? Also, I still own my house over here. I will be selling to make the move to Oz, will this have any effect on the process?

·
Registered
9 Posts
spousal visa

hi we are south african go for the spousal visa 309 .. took us 29 days !!!!! and we were in africa :).. just get all your certificates etcif u are married or else lots of proof that u together like photos etc

·
Registered
381 Posts
WOW!! Amazing info on that link, thank you so much. Do you know if they do any kind of credit checks on you? Also, I still own my house over here. I will be selling to make the move to Oz, will this have any effect on the process?
The only financial check that Aussie Immigration make is to confirm that you don't already owe money to the Australian government (previous fines, benefits or the cost of your previous extradition - that sort of thing).

The general consensus is that UK debts are NOT enforceable downunder either....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi,
I have just recently moved from the UK to Australia on the spouse visa. It took me roughly about 2 months for it to be processed and this was because I waited to get my medical. My Boyf is an Ozzie and I have to say that once you get going on the visa it's pretty straight forward, that is if you have lots of readily available evidence.

Just make sure that you have lots of evidence of how you support each other financially through Bills, tenancy agreements, etc...

We only had water bills in both names but I had set up a direct debit to pay my partner for the other bills and highlighted these on my bank statements.

I also included travel itineries and ticket stubs from holidays we have had together with our friends and families.

The only thing I got confused about was the certified copied of your passport - you have to get them done by a solicitor and it usually costs about five pounds. My boyf went back to oz before me so I kept asking him to go into aus immi and ask them what stuff meant.

You also need 2 ozzie citizens to do a stat dec about your realtionship, we used my boyf mother and our ozzie hairdresser in the uk. You also need to get their passports certified and get someone like a teacher,doctor, police etc... to sign it and say they have witnessed it.

I sent my police check in with my application - it took about 2 weeks for that to come back from the police. I would suggest if you want to be processed quickly getting your med done too when you send your application. I didn't do this and had to wait another month but I know others who applied at the same time as me got processed more quickly because they did submit their meds.

Basically if you get super oraganised then it shouldn't take too long.

Hope that helps and if you want to ask me any Q's then I'll be happy to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

I'm applying from U.K to join my husband who lives in Australia (Sydney). ive sent off for the police clearance its takes roughly 10 working days (i'm still waiting for mine, they recieved it on the 23/09/2009) hoping i should get it back next week. it cost £35 pound to have it done in 10 working days and £70 to have it done in 2 working days. Try googling acpo.police.uk or look at immi website or Australian embassy in UK, theres links on that .

i haven't actually done my medicals yet - waiting to send off my application!!

good luck..i knw what you going through!

i have recently just got married and want to join my hubby in OZ asap too!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts