Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i'm currently in a predicament and was wondering if anyone can help. i have been dating my partner online for 3 years and we have never met. He lives in South Africa and we have met online. We have decided that we want to live together in the UK together and get married. I was wondering does anyone have any advice on how to go about this? I have read about Fiance Visa's online but was wondering if there is a simple route?
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It is required that you meet in person before applying for a fiance visa, unless the marriage is arranged due to religious customs.

Reactions: Emily873

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Until such time as you meet and establish a relationship apart from that on-line, you will not be eligible for a visa to allow your partner to enter the UK to live.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Without actually meeting (and getting to know) in person, your application will be rejected outright.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is required that you meet in person before applying for a fiance visa, unless the marriage is arranged due to religious customs.
that is really frustrating as we want to live together as soon as possible really. we talk regularly on Skype does this count?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thank you for advice. Will there be evidence that we never met?
If you're in a long distance relationship they still expect you to have met & would require evidence like photographs together at different times over your relationship as well as evidence of visits to each other or holidays together. Stamps in passports, flight tickets, hotel bookings etc.
Evidence of skype calls and other contact methods like whatsapp/email is also required but you need to prove to them that you've actually met each other in person.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thank you so much! this is an eye opener, i had no idea we would need this much evidence.
The more evidence you have the better it is, it makes the relationship look genuine. If you have not met and you submit an application it'll be refused straight away due to the lack of evidence and not meeting their criteria.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
There is a question on the application (Appendix 2) about how frequently you meet in person, which you must of course answer truthfully. If your answer is tantamount to "never" then you will simply be rejected. If there is any doubt about the genuineness of the relationship, they could either refuse the visa or request evidence. So, you really must be able to prove that you've met one another if asked, and in my honest opinion it is still best to send in some photos taken together or proof of visits. Proof of communication (whatsapp/skype/etc.) isn't required at all anymore, and in any case it's not a substitute for meeting in person. UKVI doesn't consider you to have a genuine relationship if you have not physically met, which you must agree is only realistic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a question on the application (Appendix 2) about how frequently you meet in person, which you must of course answer truthfully. If your answer is tantamount to "never" then you will simply be rejected. If there is any doubt about the genuineness of the relationship, they could either refuse the visa or request evidence. So, you really must be able to prove that you've met one another if asked, and in my honest opinion it is still best to send in some photos taken together or proof of visits. Proof of communication (whatsapp/skype/etc.) isn't required at all anymore, and in any case it's not a substitute for meeting in person. UKVI doesn't consider you to have a genuine relationship if you have not physically met, which you must agree is only realistic.
Thank you for the advice. Would you say knowing all this now, that within a year's time we may be able to submit a visa and have a successful outcome? Me and my partner have been talking about all the advice you guys have been giving us and we have decided if we give it a year, to meet and take pictures and build up evidence that hopefully we will be able to live together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.