Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spouse Visa online app done 13/9/13 - applied in Nigeria. Lagos
Biometrics done - 13/9/13
Supporting docs sent to Sheffield by me in the UK, 23/9/13
Supporting docs received back to me in UK from UKBA on 25/10/2013
Passport received in Nigeria to hubby 30/10/13

VISA GRANTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOTAL DAYS = 45 DAYS FROM START TO PASSPORT IN HAND!!!!

Just wanna say a big thanks to Joppa and the rest of you all......This forum is amazing and helps so many peoples lives.
I cant believe we had such a quick response...GOD was surely watching over us.

Now my question is what kind of docs should my hubby carry, and what kinds of questions is he to expect???

·
Registered
631 Posts
We were traveling together so we didn't have any problems, but I carried in my hand luggage everything we used to apply, and if there was a delay updated bank statements wouldn't be bad either. It shouldn't be any hassle, but I don't know if people from different countries are treated differently.

I would expect at least, some basic questions: spouse's name, address in UK, that sort of thing.

M

·
Registered
924 Posts
Spouse Visa online app done 13/9/13 - applied in Nigeria. Lagos
Biometrics done - 13/9/13
Supporting docs sent to Sheffield by me in the UK, 23/9/13
Supporting docs received back to me in UK from UKBA on 25/10/2013
Passport received in Nigeria to hubby 30/10/13

VISA GRANTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOTAL DAYS = 45 DAYS FROM START TO PASSPORT IN HAND!!!!

Just wanna say a big thanks to Joppa and the rest of you all......This forum is amazing and helps so many peoples lives.
I cant believe we had such a quick response...GOD was surely watching over us.

Now my question is what kind of docs should my hubby carry, and what kinds of questions is he to expect???
I know that residents of some countries have a little more difficulty at the border than others (a fact of life, not a judgement!) so I would recommend that he carry a certified copy of your marriage certificate, proof of your residence, and proof of finances in the UK. Also be sure to be in the airport with your cell phone handy so he or the ECO can reach you immediately, if necessary. Any official documentation that was used to obtain the visa would probably be helpful, if available.

I didn't get asked hardly any questions when my visa was reviewed and stamped at Heathrow. My source of aggravation was the 4-5 biometric checking stations I had to go through, on top of a final inspection point where they insisted on taking everything out of both of my carry-on's, thus I missed my connecting flight and had to wait for another one. I couldn't understand any reason for so many check points as there was no way anyone could have passed the first 2 and then suddenly become someone else in the middle of a secured airport. :mad:

One thing about UK rules that differ from other places - you are only allowed 1 plastic ziplocked bag of small containers for liquids (shampoo, etc.). They have bags there, fortunately. I had a "kit" I'd purchased and the nice, heavy plastic bag with a real zipper wasn't allowed, plus I had an extra small plastic bag with additional items. I had to consolidate into one bag and had to throw away anything that wouldn't fit. This is totally different from the US and I'll be sure not to do it again!

I also was trying to bring as much with me as I could, since I was moving here. I would NEVER travel with as much stuff! I hope I never have to go through such aggravation again.

Congratulations and celebrate your new life together!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Water Dragon that's interesting about liquid rule. I always assumed those security measure were in line with the US and other countries tightening up re: security.

·
Registered
924 Posts
So did I!

Water Dragon that's interesting about liquid rule. I always assumed those security measure were in line with the US and other countries tightening up re: security.
I wasn't pleased at all. I spent hours selecting the items to bring, how to pack them, and put great effort into trying to meet all the possible requirements. I'm in my late 50's, never traveled east of the US, had my passport etc., and even made sure not to wear my belt or shoes with laces, in order to avoid holding up the process or causing any trouble. By the time I finally reached my husband, I was totally livid with the whole experience.

I specifically bought the "kit" to avoid any misinterpretation of the rules on my part. Apparently, the UK thinks plastic ziplock bags, like from the grocery store, are better than a bag with a real zipper that is manufactured only for that purpose. :rolleyes:

I'm still trying to figure out why they targeted me and thought they needed to take out every single thing. I did have some fragile items (small framed photos, etc) that I took great care to pack amongst the clothes and with the rush to try to get to the gate, I could only make a feeble attempt to put things back as they needed to be.

The excessive biometrics check points still make no sense at all either.....what a pain! I think countries are trying to discourage people traveling as much as possible - it certainly wasn't the exciting adventure I'd thought it would be. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.