Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I currently hold my first ever spouse visa (2.5 years). I was on 2 student visas before this, and also got married with my last student visa. I am NON-EEA.

Upon googling for my husband's work clearance, I stumbled across an appendix for Members of serving Armed Forces members. My husband is a member of Royal Navy, he was born here, and by birth British.

To my understanding, I would be able to switch to a spouse visa for AF members when this current one expires, that would grant me 5 years instead of 2.5 years? And that I would be able to settle after 5 years, as opposed to 10?

Also, I hold an expired British National Overseas passport, which I plan to renew in a few months, and to my understanding, I would have been able to settle after 5 years in the UK because of my birth right?

Could someone please tell me if I am right? Thank you, and have a good day!

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
To my understanding, I would be able to switch to a spouse visa for AF members when this current one expires, that would grant me 5 years instead of 2.5 years?
The AF members spouse visa grants the full 5 years of validity in one go, rather than requiring you to extend after 2.5 years.

Eligibility for settlement normally requires 5 years' residence on a spouse visa anyway, whether AF or not. You would only be required to wait 10 years if you didn't meet the financial requirement and you were specifically put on the 10-year route. So either way, you will be eligible to settle after 5 years from the date you were granted your first spouse visa (if you switched from a student visa from within the UK) or the date you entered the UK on your spouse visa. Being an AF family member doesn't change the timing of your settlement.

Were you only recently granted FLR(M) as a spouse? Did you apply from within the UK? If you apply from outside the UK, there's a different Appendix 2 for armed forces, but if you apply from within the UK I'm not sure how it's specified. If you applied recently, it's possible you could submit a complaint that you didn't get the full 5 year visa. Not 100% sure

Reactions: MrsW2017

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were you only recently granted FLR(M) as a spouse? Did you apply from within the UK?
Hi there, and thanks for your rapid reply.

I got married in Scotland with my student visa. I applied for the premium one-day service at Glasgow to switch to FLR(M) in late Jan/ early Feb. I have no idea if I would have been granted 5 years, as I only paid my IHS for 2.5 years. I must admit I was fairly ill-informed. Do you think this could be a valid argument to contact the Home Office? I did state that my husband is currently serving the Royal Navy on my application form. Or would this jeopardise my future applications? Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.