Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am alloying for a spouse visa in feb 2014. I currently live with my husband overseas and work for a local company. I get paid a basic salary and monthly commissions which are sales based. I pay tax but get paid cash in hand. So my question is if pay slips a copy of my monthly commission ( receipts) and a letter from my employer is enough evidence. Also will I have to show 12 months incomings as my money varies month on month.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I am alloying for a spouse visa in feb 2014. I currently live with my husband overseas and work for a local company. I get paid a basic salary and monthly commissions which are sales based. I pay tax but get paid cash in hand. So my question is if pay slips a copy of my monthly commission ( receipts) and a letter from my employer is enough evidence. Also will I have to show 12 months incomings as my money varies month on month.
In order to meet the requirements when you are being paid cash in hand, you MUSt deposit the full amount of money you get paid into a bank account. UKBA no longer considers the money unless you can show a deposit into an account with your payslips, employer contract, etc.

If you get paid £2,000 a month but only deposit £800, UKBA will only count the £800. So if you aren't already depositing the full amount, start doing so. You can immediately withdraw some to use, but you must show the deposit.

Commissions are fine to use as long as your employer writes in your contract or letter of employment that they are part of your income.

Yes if your income tends to fluctuate better to use 12 months of payslips and bank statements and apply under Category B. :)

Edit: Where are you working exactly? You say you are working overseas for a local company? Perhaps this needs clarification and someone with more experience can chime in as to if that would qualify to meet the requirements easy peasy or if it counts as "overseas income".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THanks for the reply..... I am dual citizen in the Dominican republic and work for a local company. Not uk based. I have been working over here for over two years.

I do t understand how putting my salary and commissions in the bank will prove my salary etc as it will show j deposited the money myself......also as rules are different per country in how they pay people ....... So I thought ukba soul take that into account

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
THanks for the reply..... I am dual citizen in the Dominican republic and work for a local company. Not uk based. I have been working over here for over two years.

I do t understand how putting my salary and commissions in the bank will prove my salary etc as it will show j deposited the money myself......also as rules are different per country in how they pay people ....... So I thought ukba soul take that into account
UKBA recently clarified the rules regarding cash in hand jobs. You can use income earned cash in hand (assuming all taxes are paid correctly), but you MUST deposit the money into an account for it to count. I'm afraid there's no way around it. Start doing it as soon as possible if you aren't already doing it so that you can apply when you were still planning on it. UKBA has the same set of rules no matter what country you are applying from.

Also keep in mind that if you are the UK sponsor and planning to return to the UK with your partner, you will need to have earned at least £18,600 overseas in the past 12 months AND have a job starting in the UK within 3 months of your arrival also paying £18,600 to meet the requirements.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok But will it cause a problem if I only have bank deposits for the next 6 months and not for the full 12 months?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Ok But will it cause a problem if I only have bank deposits for the next 6 months and not for the full 12 months?
If you only have the corresponding deposits for the past 6 months, then you will only be able to use those 6 months to meet the requirement, and as such will have to apply using Category A, which means that no single month's income can be below £1550 gross - do any of your monthly wages fall below that? Because if they do, you may have to look into delaying your application until you can meet the requirements of Category B and a full 12 months of deposits.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I said my income varies as it is commission based.....so usually it can vary from 1500 usd to 3000 usd a month

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
As I said my income varies as it is commission based.....so usually it can vary from 1500 usd to 3000 usd a month
How UKBA calculates meeting the financial requirement using Category A is to take the lowest gross amount you earned in ONE of the past 6 months (that you applied with) and multiply that figure by 12 to see if you are meeting the requirement.

As long as your lowest payslip during that period is equal or more than £1550 (1550 x 12 = 18,600) then you will meet the requirements with only 6 months of documents.

If you have a single payslip under £1550, it will not matter if every other payslip is £3,000, your application will be refused because, according to the calculations used by UKBA, you do not meet the requirements. It's a bit silly, I know, but those are how UKBA calculates the financial requirement.

If this isn't possible, then you will instead have to ensure you have a full 12 months of cash-deposits to show before you apply to UKBA and use Category B instead. For Category B UKBA instead adds up your gross income from each of the 12 months leading up to the application, so it is kinder to those with fluctuating income. But this would mean delaying your application until you've deposited your income into the bank for at least 12 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cash in hand wage deposited with extra money

I get paid cash in hand and my payslips say cash payment. I have deposited the first of my six months wages this morning but not the exact amount as I added a little cash that my friend repaid me as well. Therefore if my wages is £X, I deposited £X + £30. Is this okay, although it does not reflect the exact amount?
Thanks.

In order to meet the requirements when you are being paid cash in hand, you MUSt deposit the full amount of money you get paid into a bank account. UKBA no longer considers the money unless you can show a deposit into an account with your payslips, employer contract, etc.

If you get paid £2,000 a month but only deposit £800, UKBA will only count the £800. So if you aren't already depositing the full amount, start doing so. You can immediately withdraw some to use, but you must show the deposit.

Commissions are fine to use as long as your employer writes in your contract or letter of employment that they are part of your income.

Yes if your income tends to fluctuate better to use 12 months of payslips and bank statements and apply under Category B. :)

Edit: Where are you working exactly? You say you are working overseas for a local company? Perhaps this needs clarification and someone with more experience can chime in as to if that would qualify to meet the requirements easy peasy or if it counts as "overseas income".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.