Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband (UK citizen) and I (US citizen) are hoping to apply for our spouse visa this week. I was hoping to get some feedback on our document list, as well as answers to a few remaining questions. We are submitting VAF4A & Appendix 2 (Category A).

Applicant & Sponsor Info

Applicant Photos x2
Applicant Passport (Current and Expired)
Applicant Letter of Introduction
Projected travel itinerary

Sponsor Photo x1
Sponsor Passport bio page and stamped pages - certified copies
Letter of sponsorship
Sponsorship form SU07

Accomodation

Letter from estate agency (affirming I am allowed to live in our flat)
Copy of tenancy agreement
Most recent council tax bill

Proof of Relationship

Marriage Certificate (Original)
12 photos of us dating back to 2011, showing we have met each other’s families, annotated
10 pgs of Google Chat history screen grabs
Screen grabs of our engagement and wedding announcements on Facebook
E-ticket printoffs for every trip either of us took to see each other (detailed in our letters of introduction/sponsorship)

Financial Requirement

Payslips x6 months
Bank Statements - Personal and Business accounts x6 months
Letter from Employer
P60
Employment Contract

I also have a few random questions about the application process that I haven’t been able to find clear answers on:

1. Is there a specific amount of time after you submit the online application in which you have to submit your supporting documents?

2. For getting my original documents returned is there a specific carrier I have to use? I saw a few posts saying that FedEx was not allowed?

3. I really only want my passports and our lease back, should I still make copies of everything or just what I want back? What is the best way to make clear what I need retuned?

4. I’m still not clear where I actually send the documents. I’m in Minneapolis, MN, and I assumed I would send them to the consulate in Chicago, but I’ve seen people saying they send them directly to Sheffield. It would be easiest for us to send the documents to Sheffield.

5. For my projected travel date - does this affect anything? Ideally I want to travel as soon as the visa is approved, so I’m not really sure how to choose a date. Can I change this date once my visa is issued without it messing anything up?

This forum has been incredibly helpful, thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Just my humble opinion:

You don't need a sponsor photo, and just the bio pages of sponsor's passport are fine.
SU07 is not necessary for a US citizen.
Screencaps of engagement/wedding announcements are not useful, include photos from the actual wedding instead.
Do make sure your chat history covers the entirety of your time spent apart.
I don't think you should include his business bank account statements, just the one into which his payslips are deposited. It might be confusing.

1. You need to send off your supporting documents to Sheffield within two weeks of your biometrics appointment (I'm not sure how strict this is but I would suggest following the guidance)

2. Yeah, a lot of people are saying they don't use FedEx anymore, so I sent my docs roundtrip with UPS and they used DHL on the way back. I had my documents the day after my "decision has been made" email :)

3. Assume that they will keep everything that isn't photocopied. You don't need copies of chat history and such, but I'd really suggest making copies of any original documents like bank statements/P60.

4. They're sent directly to the address in Sheffield. They will give you the exact address at your biometrics appointment, as well.

5. Since you're applying after 31 May, you'll probably end up with a 30-day vignette rather than the actual visa; you'll know by the validity period in your passport. This gives you a 30-day window to travel to the UK and collect your BRP from the post office. Since it's a small time frame, they will probably take your travel date into account, but they might not. This is a very new change to immigration so we don't have a large pool of experience to draw from here, I'm afraid...

This is just my advice as a recent fellow applicant, I have no authority whatsoever. Lots of luck :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You also need to include your biometric receipt and priority receipt if you are paying for priority service.

You should include a return shipping envelope with the waybill unless you are using the courier service.

Since this is a spouse visa, you'll also need to pay the IHS charge and include the receipt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just my humble opinion:
5. Since you're applying after 31 May, you'll probably end up with a 30-day vignette rather than the actual visa; you'll know by the validity period in your passport. This gives you a 30-day window to travel to the UK and collect your BRP from the post office. Since it's a small time frame, they will probably take your travel date into account, but they might not. This is a very new change to immigration so we don't have a large pool of experience to draw from here, I'm afraid...
Thanks for your advice. A 30-day window from when the visa is approved would be perfect. It's hard to pick a date without knowing how much they'll base on it. I don't want to pick one that's too close in case the visa takes longer than I'm expecting/hoping; but I don't want to pick one three months out and then have the visa be approved really quickly but not be able to travel for another month or two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You also need to include your biometric receipt and priority receipt if you are paying for priority service.

You should include a return shipping envelope with the waybill unless you are using the courier service.

Since this is a spouse visa, you'll also need to pay the IHS charge and include the receipt.
Thanks for your reply. I am aware of those components, I just didn't include them in the list :]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.