Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our spouse visa is now delayed, with no information why.

Applied online: April 10th
Attended VFS Tokyo: April 13th
Confirmation of scanned documents received in Sheffield: April 14th

No further contact has been received by email, phone or post by either myself or my wife.

"12 weeks" target: July 7th
"60 working day" target: July 14th

On July 10th I called the advice line at £1.37/minute. They said its status was "awaiting a decision" and they escalated it, with a 15 working day target for responding to escalations. My concern was that we'd somehow missed a request for more documents, but the advice line said they would have emailed and phoned both my wife and myself. Called again on July 21st, still "awaiting a decision". I've also emailed my MP to ask for help.

Does the fact it's overdue have any indication that there's a problem?
Are we more likely get rejected?
What's the longest delay anyone else has experienced and still got a visa?
What other actions can we take to get an answer faster?

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
1st, nothing is delayed or overdue. Suggested processing times are only meant to be guides. There is no guarantee that visas will be processed in a certain amount of time.

Most of the visa processing time consists of your paperwork sitting in a pile waiting to be seen. So how long it takes or is taking to be processed is no indication of success or failure. In 2012 when the rules changed dramatically, visas were taking upwards of 6 months to be processed. There is nothing you can do to speed up the process. It takes as long as it takes.

Sheffield has recently taken over the visa processing for a lot more countries so this could possible be a reason why things are taking longer than usual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.