Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Hoping that I can benefit from some of the wise wisdom on this board by posting our checklist! I'm hoping to submit my online application next week, shortly followed by supporting documents. Thank you so much in advance, I'm so glad that I found this board!

Note: I realize some of this might be overkill, but as you can see we're not really straightforward so I'd really like to be solid in all areas, if even a little overly so.

Applicant

- VA4FA
- Appendix 2
- (Will have) Biometrics Receipt
- (Will have) Tentative Travel Itinerary
- Previous Passport
- Introduction Letter
- 2 Passport Photos
- Birth Certificate
- Passport
- I'm self-employed. Is there a generally accepted substitute for payslips/letter of employment? I know this doesn't have any bearing on the application but it seems that most applicants in salaried positions submit *something* so it feels strange not to do so.

Prior Conviction Documentation (No jail time)

- Cover note disclosing the conviction, my remorse (and embarrassment, because it is the dumbest thing I've ever done), and my desire to move on
- Case Report (listing charges)
- Certificate of Completion for DUI course
- Copy of current (valid) Driver's License
- Receipt showing fees paid for reinstatment
- I have the police report but I feel like that probably doesn't need to be included as it's just more paper and doesn't reflect on the resolution of the case. I'd love to know if anyone else in a similar position submitted different documents? I'm a little worried about this section.
- Receipt showing fees paid for cost of (probation) supervision
- Letter from Probation Officer stating that the term of probation has expired

Sponsor

- Letter of invitation stating how we met, that we're in looooooove, future plans, and listing how he meets the financial and accommodation requirement
- Birth Certificate
- Certified copy of passport Bio page

Financial Requirement (A)

- Employment letter
- Employment Contract
- p60
- 6 months bank statements
- 6 months payslips

Accommodation

- Letter from landlord saying that it's cool for me to live there (and explaining that the name on the original lease is of someone who has since moved out, so it's a 2-bed with one occupant)
- Property Inspection Report
- Tenancy Agreement
- Council Tax Bill
- Utility Bill (I think it's for the internet?)
- Photos of the flat

Proof of Relationship

Still working on this but will include:
- Photos (10-15)
- A multi-page document with a mix of screen shots from: Skype, What'sApp, Email
- Phone call log from October '14 onward (I'm unable to access logs or bills prior to this)
- Wedding Photos
- Marriage Certificate
- A few cards
- We're only going to include one boarding pass showing a post-marriage trip to another country (we're just not awesome at keeping those things)
- Postcards

Other Notes

- I previously received a Code 3 Landing and did end up staying longer than I told the border officer that I would be. I plan to include a note stating the circumstances, that I know that this was not the right thing to do, that I'm sorry and regret the discrepancy. (I didn't overstay the visa that I was on and this wasn't a ruse to get into the country, we just decided after the grilling that we wanted as much time together as possible before being separated for the application wait.)

Did I miss anything? This is going to cost so much to mail now that I type it out!!

Also - anyone have experience with Priority when they aren't really in a rush but are nervous because of a complicated application? I know that they'll spend longer with mine anyway, does that effectively cancel out any benefit that priority might have?

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
That looks pretty thorough, but I'm sure others will weigh in as well. Is there any way you can provide eTicket receipts from visits to one another which have been emailed to you? One boarding pass isn't much. You don't need a birth certificate.

I wouldn't get too romantic in your letters of introduction; my understanding is that it should be a brief timeline of the relationship from how you met to when you married including visits to one another, incorporating one another into your lives, and plans for the future which explain why you're so suited to one another.

I wish you the very best of luck :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks pretty thorough, but I'm sure others will weigh in as well. Is there any way you can provide eTicket receipts from visits to one another which have been emailed to you? One boarding pass isn't much. You don't need a birth certificate.

I wouldn't get too romantic in your letters of introduction; my understanding is that it should be a brief timeline of the relationship from how you met to when you married including visits to one another, incorporating one another into your lives, and plans for the future which explain why you're so suited to one another.

I wish you the very best of luck :)
Hi! Thanks so much for replying!

We have a few e-receipts, so I'll include those!

The letters aren't really soppy or anything, and they cover the bases of what you wrote above! I think our newly married status is just causing me to see everything with heart eyes.

Anyone else have any thoughts on our list? Doing the final check throughs today and tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Birth Certificate (you)
I'm self-employed. Is there a generally accepted substitute for payslips/letter of employment? I know this doesn't have any bearing on the application but it seems that most applicants in salaried positions submit *something* so it feels strange not to do so.
Birth Certificate (sponsor)
Property Inspection Report
Utility Bill (I think it's for the internet?)
Photos of the flat
A few cards
Postcards
Don't need the above

Also the sponsor's biopages don't need to be certified, but it's okay if you've already done that

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have read that it's better not to do priority if there is anything complex in your history.
I think you've addressed the arrest thoroughly and you don't need anything to show your employment or pay since they only look at the sponsor's income.
Good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They now ask for evidence of applicant's overseas job as well.
That's what I thought as well. Should I just draw something up detailing what I do and put it on letterhead (that I will make as I don't ever send out formal letters). I'm not really sure what to include as "evidence" for an online-only business. Any advice would be appreciated there!

Other than that, Joppa (and all), does the above look thorough? Anything else I should include?

Thanks again, all! Really ready for this process to be officially on its way. The stress is taking its toll!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have read that it's better not to do priority if there is anything complex in your history.
I think you've addressed the arrest thoroughly and you don't need anything to show your employment or pay since they only look at the sponsor's income.
Good luck!
Really? That's interesting! I was on the fence about it. As much as I'd like to get back swiftly, I don't want to do anything to cast our application in a bad light (further than the issues we're already facing). Is it that these applications are more closely scrutinized?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm not sure! I will see if I can find where it says that.
Also I see above I was wrong about the employment info! Sorry :)

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Really? That's interesting! I was on the fence about it. As much as I'd like to get back swiftly, I don't want to do anything to cast our application in a bad light (further than the issues we're already facing). Is it that these applications are more closely scrutinized?
It's not that submitting a priority visa will cast your application in a bad light, they just don't want you to waste a significant amount of money on an application that will probably require extra time to process. Since your probation has been completely spent and you're submitting sufficient documentation to genuinely prove your remorse and penance, you're probably fine, but even non-priority visas from the US seem to be processed very quickly lately... It's really just a matter of how much money you feel comfortable spending

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not that submitting a priority visa will cast your application in a bad light, they just don't want you to waste a significant amount of money on an application that will probably require extra time to process. Since your probation has been completely spent and you're submitting sufficient documentation to genuinely prove your remorse and penance, you're probably fine, but even non-priority visas from the US seem to be processed very quickly lately... It's really just a matter of how much money you feel comfortable spending
I think (based on when the probation ended) that it's not technically spent. How does that work? From what I've read it seems that the clock starts ticking at the end of your sentence expiration. Is that the correct reading? Either way, happy to pay for priority if it helps, but I'm expecting our application to take longer anyway, so perhaps it's not really worth it...I suppose that's the least of my worries, though! The goal is reuniting with my husband, I'm happy to make sure everything is correct rather than quick.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I copied this from the VFS website page about using the Priority Service
UK Visa Information - United States of America - User Pay Services

Who can apply?

This service is available for all visa categories with the exception of: Tier 1 exceptional talent, Settlement, EEA Family Permit and Overseas and Commonwealth visa applications. EEA Family Permit applicants are not required to purchase priority services. EEA Family Permit applications are considered priority, free of any additional charge

Applicants should be aware that they may experience extended processing times if any of the following factors apply:

You do not mark the outermost envelope containing your application ‘Priority Service';
You do not include the receipt confirming that the priority service has been purchased with the application;
You have previously been refused a visa for the UK;
You have previously been refused leave to enter the UK;
You have previously been deported, removed, or otherwise required to leave the UK
You have overstayed a period of leave in the UK;
You have been refused leave to remain in the UK by the UK Visas Immigration;
You have any unspent criminal convictions in any country.
If any of the above applies to you, you are strongly advised not to apply for the priority visa service. You should also not apply for this service if you are applying for a visa to a Commonwealth country or British overseas territory.

If any of the above factors apply, please note that your visa application will continue to be handled as a priority and processed ahead of other visa applications but your visa application may be identified as an exceptional case and processing may take longer. UK Visas and Immigration strongly recommends that visa applicants with any form of adverse immigration history do not use this service.

·
Registered
151 Posts
UK Visas and Immigration strongly recommends that visa applicants with any form of adverse immigration history do not use this service.
Sorry to steal cersei's thread, but do you think a code 3 landing is deemed to be adverse immigration history? Every time I have entered the UK I've been given 6 months. Never been refused at entry, never refused a visa or deported etc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I copied this from the VFS website page about using the Priority Service
UK Visa Information - United States of America - User Pay Services

Who can apply?

This service is available for all visa categories with the exception of: Tier 1 exceptional talent, Settlement, EEA Family Permit and Overseas and Commonwealth visa applications. EEA Family Permit applicants are not required to purchase priority services. EEA Family Permit applications are considered priority, free of any additional charge

Applicants should be aware that they may experience extended processing times if any of the following factors apply:

You do not mark the outermost envelope containing your application ‘Priority Service';
You do not include the receipt confirming that the priority service has been purchased with the application;
You have previously been refused a visa for the UK;
You have previously been refused leave to enter the UK;
You have previously been deported, removed, or otherwise required to leave the UK
You have overstayed a period of leave in the UK;
You have been refused leave to remain in the UK by the UK Visas Immigration;
You have any unspent criminal convictions in any country.
If any of the above applies to you, you are strongly advised not to apply for the priority visa service. You should also not apply for this service if you are applying for a visa to a Commonwealth country or British overseas territory.

If any of the above factors apply, please note that your visa application will continue to be handled as a priority and processed ahead of other visa applications but your visa application may be identified as an exceptional case and processing may take longer. UK Visas and Immigration strongly recommends that visa applicants with any form of adverse immigration history do not use this service.
Oh thank you so much! That's really helpful and clear. I appreciate it (and apologies for not searching that out on my own)!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm waiting for my "decision has been made" email. I have time, the days feel like weeks :)

Reactions: AnOceanApart
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.