Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, more questions!!! Things are getting more urgent as we hope to apply this week!

Okay, for background: I will be applying for a spouse visa to join my husband. I understand that coming from the US, I need to apply online, and complete forms VAF4A and Appendix 2.

1) Is VAF4A filled out and submitted online? Do I then print a copy of the completed form off the computer and include this with my supporting documents, passport, etc?

2) What about Appendix 2? Is this form only printed off, filled in by hand, and mailed in?

3) Which location do I send my documents to? Do I mail it to the British Consulate in New York, or to Sheffield? We will be applying with priority service, if this makes any difference.

4) Do we use the Visa4UK webpage to apply? Will it be clearly labeled? (I feel very stupid as I can find the PDF files for VAF4A and Appendix 2, but am clueless as to where I submit the correct online application!) I do not see the correct form listed on this webpage: https://apply.ukba.homeoffice.gov.u...un.faces.portlet.CLEAR_STATE=true&_nfls=false

5) My husband and I hope to apply this weekend. How soon after submitting our initial online application and paying the fee do I need go in for biometrics?

6) After the biometrics are done, how long do we have to mail in our supporting documentation?

THANK YOU! :)

·
Registered
39,126 Posts
Yes, more questions!!! Things are getting more urgent as we hope to apply this week!

Okay, for background: I will be applying for a spouse visa to join my husband. I understand that coming from the US, I need to apply online, and complete forms VAF4A and Appendix 2.

1) Is VAF4A filled out and submitted online? Do I then print a copy of the completed form off the computer and include this with my supporting documents, passport, etc?
Yes.

2) What about Appendix 2? Is this form only printed off, filled in by hand, and mailed in?
Yes.

3) Which location do I send my documents to? Do I mail it to the British Consulate in New York, or to Sheffield? We will be applying with priority service, if this makes any difference.
All US settlement applications, priority or not, go to Sheffield.

4) Do we use the Visa4UK webpage to apply? Will it be clearly labeled? (I feel very stupid as I can find the PDF files for VAF4A and Appendix 2, but am clueless as to where I submit the correct online application!) I do not see the correct form listed on this webpage: https://apply.ukba.homeoffice.gov.u...un.faces.portlet.CLEAR_STATE=true&_nfls=false
Yes, online form at visa4uk.

5) My husband and I hope to apply this weekend. How soon after submitting our initial online application and paying the fee do I need go in for biometrics?
You choose the date from a list offered at the end of your online application.

6) After the biometrics are done, how long do we have to mail in our supporting documentation?
It's something like within a month, but clearly it's in your interest to mail it as soon as possible. You need to pay for priority on the same day you send off your documents, and clearly label your packet as such. Plus you now need to include a carriage-paid waybill for the return. Open an account with FedEx.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch, Joppa! That really helps.

Just to confirm, Appendix 2 is not filled out online, only on paper?

I guess this means I need to get packing! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Okay, just started with VAF4A, and it asks for given names (not surnames). Does this include my middle name?

Edited to add: my US passport includes my middle name along with my first under given names...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joppa, forgot to ask! How long of a time frame do I have after submitting the online application + fee to book an appointment?

·
Registered
39,126 Posts
Include your middle name.
You will be prompted at the end of online application to book your biometric appointment, before you log off. So it's all done in the same session.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.