Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my husband has been offered a job in Netherlands. He has a UK spouse visa for 2.5 years that started in May 2017. I would just like to know if there is a restriction of length of stay outside UK if he is going to apply for FLR after 2.5 years and ILR thereafter? Many thanks.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
First, if he is a Filipino, he will require a visa to work in the Netherlands. Usually working abroad for a new employer means he is no longer ordinarily resident in UK with his main home here. As the spouse visa is intended to enable him to live in UK with you with a view to settlement, they can argue he no longer fulfils the terms of his visa. What may happen is he has to extend his visa until he is able to renew it for further 30 months, or he may have to apply for a fresh spouse visa back in the Philippines if he lets his visa expire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Joppa.

My husband usually travels around the world to meet their company's clients. Normally their company will process his visa for him.

He has already got a visa to work in Netherlands. It is only a contract work so he might only be there for 3-6 months. He will come home here in the UK at least forthnightly.

Even if he is going to work for a company based in the in the UK he is still likely to be dispatched overseas for assignments that will require sometimes months to complete.

His main residence will still be in the UK as he will only be overseas temporarily.

Will any absence in the UK affect his future application for FLR/ settelement visa?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
There is a difference between working for a UK company that sends him abroad, and working for a foreign company based outside of UK and travelling internationally. If you were to follow him and live with him abroad, that would make it a bit easier. It's up to the Home Office to decide if he meets the conditions of his visa, and this will affect his chances of extension or renewal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

This was the only thread I could find that was somewhat related to my query.

I am currently on a spouse visa on FLR which expires on 18/01/18.

My husband (UK Citizen) and I moved to Canada a couple months ago and although I am aware that moving here basically will reset my UK visa (if we were to move back) and if I were to try and apply for ILR.

I have actually been approached to do some contract work (remotely) from my previous UK employer and I am not sure if:
a. I am allowed to do this whilst being outside of the UK;
b. if I would only be allowed to do so while my visa is still active; and
c. what happens if I would like to carry on the work after my visa expires

Any info or help on this would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.