Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have already found excellent threads here explaining the step by step process in applying for a spouse visa, but have a few addional questions regarding my specific situation. I'm a US citizen and my bf is a British citizen. We met this January in New Zealand traveling and fell in love and have been going back and forth since. We are madly in love with each other and I'm ready to marry him to be with him over in London on a long term basis. I have photos, emails, and ticket stubs to prove our relationship for this year, but was wondering if the UK consulate is more strict with shorter term relationships than long ones?? It would make sense but we really are in love and want to be together without thousands of miles in between us. My bf resides in and is employed in London and can budget me in his income for now. I am not employed at the moment, but do have money in an account but not a lot. I can show proof of $1000 right now, but not much more. To make things more organized here are my main questions:
1) Will it be harder or more of a issue to obtain a spouse visa with newly met couples?
2) How strict are they with proof of income and what exactly are they looking for?
3) Should I try and interview here now (visiting bf now so in UK) and get a potential sponsor so I can show proof of a future employment? or can i get away with having a cv/resume ready and proof of having a employment seeking profile?
4) What exactly will my british bf need with him (documents) to marry me in the US?
Thanks so much for your help on this!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can't answer your first four questions thoroughly because I don't know what their guidelines are. If you two are planning to marry then I think all they need to see is that you ARE legally married, you've actually met and that if he is your sponsor, he can support you while you live with him in the UK (as well as the usual supporting documents).

For proof of income, they do want to records of savings/checking accounts, pay-stubs. Again, I don't know exactly what they're looking for but if you've got some savings and he's got a steady job, that might be enough.

If you two plan on getting married no matter what, then all you can do is get married and then apply for a visa. If you're basing your decision to marry on whether or not you'll be allowed to live in the UK, then maybe you shouldn't marry? I'm not judging or citicizing, I'm just an outsider looking in. I'm sure you are both very much in love.

As for question 5, call your local town hall (or the town hall where you want to be married) for that information. When I called, all my boyfriend needed was his passport and I needed my ID. They may want to see proof that he has a return ticket to the UK (to make sure he's not trying to sneak into the country illegally).

When we submitted our intent to marry, we had to wait three business days before the JOP would marry us. But yes, call the town hall of the city where you would like to be married, tell them your situation and ask what documents you will both need.

Good luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi, there!

To answer your first question, no, it won't be any harder for you to obtain a spousal visa. My hubby and I had met in person in May 6 years ago. He came to visit me once over his summer hols, and we married that December. So, we only knew each other for a total of 7 months and I had no problem getting a spousal visa.

To answer all your other questions, this website is fantastic and quite easily explains everything you and your bf will need to apply for a spousal visa. You can even contact them for help with your questions, if you need assistance. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, there!

To answer your first question, no, it won't be any harder for you to obtain a spousal visa. My hubby and I had met in person in May 6 years ago. He came to visit me once over his summer hols, and we married that December. So, we only knew each other for a total of 7 months and I had no problem getting a spousal visa.

To answer all your other questions, this is fantastic and quite easily explains everything you and your bf will need to apply for a spousal visa. You can even contact them for help with your questions, if you need assistance. Good luck!
Thanks so much for that link for the spousal visa requirement. That helps me out a lot! I'm pretty sure we're almost completely organized here to get this done as soon as possible. The only other thing I'm worried about is our financial situation. I had to quit my job in the states to visit my bf here for a couple months and sold my car to have funds. Yet they are very quickly depleting due to the high costs here in London! My bf just got a job and started the beginning of August and makes 1000 pounds a month which isnt much. Do you think this would be enough for the consulate to be okay with? Since he just got the job we can only provide 2 months of paystubs yet if need be we could get his parents to co-sponsor us. I also could start lookin for a job to get a letter of approval to show that I can start work right away. But I have friends here who are citizens that are having a tough time theirselves so I don't know how confident i am in getting one within a month before I go back to the states to marry. Any advice on whether or not I should worry about this would be great :) Again thanks so much! You're awesome for helping us out with this :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.