Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I received my 189 visa in March this year. Now, I wish to apply for my wife's permanent visa. I was looking at the available options. I found out that the visa subclass is 820 & 801. The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is granted first and lets you stay in Australia while the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) is processed. My concern is, "is this the only option?" It seems like my spouse will have to wait 2 years as a temporary partner visa before her permanent visa is processed. Also, the visa fee is AUD7000.

My wife is currently is in Australia as she recently graduated from a university with 2-year Masters degree. Before her student visa is expired, I want to apply for her permanent visa.

Please let me know if my understanding is right or not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does her current student visa has 8503 - no further stay condition?

Girl Aussie
No, her current student visa does not have this condition.

·
Registered
579 Posts
In that case, you can try checking if she can enroll for her professional year (if applicable) and process your application for Spouse Visa. Ideally once you start processing she has a chances of getting moved to a Bridging visa.

Moderators and Other members. Please add your comments on this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In that case, you can try checking if she can enroll for her professional year (if applicable) and process your application for Spouse Visa. Ideally once you start processing she has a chances of getting moved to a Bridging visa.

Moderators and Other members. Please add your comments on this.
She can apply for 485 (graduate visa) since she completed her 2-year Masters from here. In that case, she will be provided with bridging visa. But that will again cost us additional money for visa application fee, medical test and medical insurance for her. I am not sure how to enroll for the professional year. She had a masters in IT. Not sure if its applicable or not.

·
Registered
579 Posts
She can apply for 485 (graduate visa) since she completed her 2-year Masters from here. In that case, she will be provided with bridging visa. But that will again cost us additional money for visa application fee, medical test and medical insurance for her. I am not sure how to enroll for the professional year. She had a masters in IT. Not sure if its applicable or not.
Better check if you can speak with ACS personnel on the professional year part. My cousin did his professional year from ACS after completing his MS from Melbourne. He is currently taking the PR path but not sure through which code.

My suggestion would be go through the Visa pathway process applicable for her based on her masters degree .Either way it should be a proper path for her to get a PR.
(When there is a provision, why not!!):becky:

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Then she can apply 820/801 Partner Visa, this visa is expensive and has long process time.

The other option is to look into Skill set visa, this is not me expertise so I can't advise any further on this but do check DIBP website to get more update.

Girl Aussie

No, her current student visa does not have this condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts