Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a slight chance my wife could get a Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa to work in the UK.

If she were successful, would her work permit allow me to start my own business there? If not, what would my options be for doing this? Would I have to apply for my own Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa?

I've read online that, "the spouse of a work permit holder is entitled to take up any lawful employment", but I'm not 100% sure if that also holds true for starting my own business. Thoughts? TIA

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to add ... what has got me thrown for a loop is this I read on Visalogic's website (FAQs - Visalogic):

Can I work in a self-employed capacity while in the UK under a work permit?

No, as a Tier 2 General migrant you are not allowed to enter self-employment, establish a business, or join another business as a director or partner.
This obviously makes sense for the work permit holder. Just not 100% sure whether or not it also applies to a dependent, since (I assume) I would technically have to open the business under my wife's work permit.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
You can start a business under Tier 2 dependant visa. But since your status is completely dependent on your wife's visa, should she lose her job or be transferred abroad, you will lose your status and your ability to pursue self-employment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Joppa! It's a long shot for her to get the Intra-company Transfer in the first place, but it's not like we have anything to lose by trying. One more thing in the mix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.