1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Change of plans ..
I am not trying SMC.
My wife is going to take a PG course in AUT.
I am told that I will get a Work VISA.

Have any one tried this route and succeeded ?.(Please share your experience)
Any challenges in getting Job and ultimately PR.
I am a software engineer with 6 years of experience .

thanks n rgds
Chinz

·
Registered
60 Posts
i am also looking for the same route. I have 7.5 years of Exp in IT as Software Engineer.

My wife looking for PHD programmes. However, we just start thinking about it lets see what happened.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We are doing the same thing. We hired an immigration advisor after we wasted a bunch of money on trying the EOI and PR route. My wife has applied to the University of Auckland and we have sent off her supporting documentation already. When we get accepted, she will get a student visa, I with get a partnership work visa and our baby will get a visitor visa. Once I get a job there we will apply for our EOI and get PR through that route. I am a system admin/system engineer with about 4 years experience and my better half is a senior informatica developer. We will keep you updated as we make progress. But one piece of advice is get a advisor it makes life so much easier.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for your prompt response!!!

My wife is planning to do PHD programmes from University of Auckland. we just start initial process like IELTS Exam and required docs as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Once we get accepted and arrange students loans for the tuition cost our out of pocket expenses are basically as follows.

Advisor 1200 US
Visa 600 - 700 US
Money in bank 15,000 NZ
Money for return plane tickets

So the way this visa works is you have to show proof that you have secured funding for the tuition for school. Then you have to have 15000 NZ in the bank and money for return tickets. You have to show proof of all of those things before they will grant you the visa. As far as time goes as long as you have your accompanying paperwork the visa process is pretty quick. At least here in the US. My advisor was saying that it would only take about 2 to 4 weeks for the visa's to get issued. I hope this at least answers some of your questions. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all
Thanks for sharing .

My update :-
My wife is going to write ielts next month.
Already appied for conditional offer from Auckland University of Technology (yess...the same )

Losangel has written my plans too :)

I am a Java developer with 6 years of experience .
My only concern is whether I will get a Job in Auckland (Since I am an Indian .Heard that it is very difficult to get even an interview call for us )

thanks n rgds
Chinz

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi
I have a question here.

If I apply for PR (after entring Newzealand) working in Newzealand will the time taken to grant the PR the same as I apply SMC from India ?

thanks n rgds
Kishore

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our plan is to get there on the student visa for my wife, then once I have a job to apply for PR. That will shorten the time for our SMC drastically. The key is having a job offer / job, with one of those in hand to get PR through SMC goes from being a year long process to under 6 months if not shorter.
Under the student visa they let you come a month or two early before school starts to get settled in, once in country we plan for me to get a job then immediately file our EOI under the SMC. They push your EOI and application for PR to the front of the queue when you have a job, if you don't have a job the wait in the queue to get your application processed is running 6 to 9 months if not longer.

--losa

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Our plan is to get there on the student visa for my wife, then once I have a job to apply for PR. That will shorten the time for our SMC drastically. The key is having a job offer / job, with one of those in hand to get PR through SMC goes from being a year long process to under 6 months if not shorter. Under the student visa they let you come a month or two early before school starts to get settled in, once in country we plan for me to get a job then immediately file our EOI under the SMC. They push your EOI and application for PR to the front of the queue when you have a job, if you don't have a job the wait in the queue to get your application processed is running 6 to 9 months if not longer. --losa
Incorrect Losa,

Residency applications with job offers don't jump the queue. They aren't pushed to the front and the time they take to secure isn't any shorter.
ALL applications that are selected by Immigration and sent ITA are treated exactly the same and it is only their individual differences that controls how long they take from start to finish.

Queue jumping, applications being pushed to the front, applications being given special treatment is highly unethical and beeches Immigrations codes of conduct.

No matter where you are in the world, a Residency application will be treated or should be treated exactly the same no matter how the points are made up.
It also doesn't make any difference if your application is being dealt with by an Authorised Immigration Consultant on your behalf.

If one application takes longer than another it is simply due to the different circumstances between the applications and the difference in workload between the Immigration offices and officers.

Regards,

Reactions: EasyBoy and chinz

·
Registered
8 Posts
My information came directly from our case worker in London at the SMC office. Whether or not that's how it should be, according to them that is how it is handled. According to her, people who already have job offers or jobs in NZ jump to the front of the queue and they try to get their visas out in 1-2 months. If you do not have a job offer, she told us the realistic time to wait is anywhere from 6-9 months at a minimum. She told me this about a month ago, so unless she happened to be mistaken or it has changed in the past month, that's how they currently are handling it.

Kind regards,

Losa

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Incorrect Losa,

Residency applications with job offers don't jump the queue. They aren't pushed to the front and the time they take to secure isn't any shorter.
ALL applications that are selected by Immigration and sent ITA are treated exactly the same and it is only their individual differences that controls how long they take from start to finish.

Queue jumping, applications being pushed to the front, applications being given special treatment is highly unethical and beeches Immigrations codes of conduct.

No matter where you are in the world, a Residency application will be treated or should be treated exactly the same no matter how the points are made up.
It also doesn't make any difference if your application is being dealt with by an Authorised Immigration Consultant on your behalf.

If one application takes longer than another it is simply due to the different circumstances between the applications and the difference in workload between the Immigration offices and officers.

Regards,
ooops ..Then what is the use of me spending 28K NZ$ just for her college fees.
:confused:

Agencies out here were saying inline with what Losa mentioned .

thanks n rgds
chinz

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
escapedtonz ,
Does that mean an application with 220 points is treated the same as 150 points ?

rgds
chinz

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
escapedtonz , Does that mean an application with 220 points is treated the same as 150 points ? rgds chinz
Yes.

It seems to me that this is a common misconception that the higher the points the more an application is worked on by Immigration.

I just don't believe it is possible.

The process an Immigration officer runs through for a Residency application is exactly the same no matter if the application has 150 points or 220 points.
In all honesty I would expect an application with higher points to take longer as those points have to be checked as legitimate so the more points the more checks ?
That officer still has to carry out the necessary standard checks etc - the process doesn't get any faster just because the points increase!!!

Also an applicant with a higher score doesn't pay any more money so this wouldn't have any bearing on the process speed.

I'm led to believe some authorised immigration consultants state this unconfirmed fact that the higher the points the quicker the process, when in reality it is not true.
I feel they do this to sway a persons decision to employ them.
However in Losa's case I'm extremely surprised to hear she was told this from an Immigration case officer.
Seems to breech every ethical rule in their process.

In my experience of Residency applications via SMC, the ONLY applications that have appeared speedier in processing (but not by much, Im talking weeks, whereas Losa quotes 6 months difference) are ones where the NZ employer offering the applicant the job puts pressure or constantly works with Immigration to push through the visa so they can have the prospective overseas employee here as quickly as possible.
Maybe the employer pays Immigration for a speedier service ?

You don't get nothing for nothing in this life!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Escaped is correct in the higher points don't matter once your EOI is accepted. The only thing that "changes" how fast they work on your application is if you have a job or job offer. Think 2 queues one for people with jobs and one for those without.
They put a higher priority on those with job offers and they push them through faster. Which is one to two months time. While the other queue moves at a slower pace because it has more people in it. That is the six to nine months time frame.

Btw Losa is a dude.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hi
What is the rejection rate for student VISA ?

My concern here is I have a notice period of 2 months in my present company.
So I am confused as to when should I give the resignation .

And My company is plannng to file H1B next April.So If I let them know my plans they may withdraw the H1B offer

Her classes start on March 4th .

And I am very sure that my wife will not travel alone to NZ.

thanks n rgds
chinz

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Manish
That's for a Ph D student.
I think the time taken is more for a Ph D student.
In our case its a PG course

thanks n rgds
chinz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.