Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's spouse visa was approved July 2016. We are up for further leave to remain after 2.5 years (January 2019).

My wife wants to go back to her home country for Chinese New Year (Feb 2018) and take our 2 year old (British) daughter with her. I can't go due to work.

Because of a few reasons she wants to spend 2 months back in her home country. The reasons:

1) UK schools are clamping down on non-term time holidays. So it will be a rare opportunity for my daughter/wife to experience Chinese New Year before our daughter starts school.

2) Flight tickets are expensive, so it's good to "make the most" out of the expense. Also the flight tickets that span that 2 month block are considerably cheaper.

3) Her parents are getting quite old, so it's a chance to spend some good quality time with them.

My question is, will this fairly large gap in her total time spent in the UK, count against us when we apply for the next visa? If so, what is the UK government's rationale for restricting her/my daughter's liberty? What advice would people have for documentation and mitigating visa trouble further down the line?

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Periods of less than 90 days abroad are not a problem. I wouldn't worry about this. It would be different if she were away for more than 6 months or so, but she's clearly still regularly domiciled in the UK and just going back for a temporary visit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Periods of less than 90 days abroad are not a problem. I wouldn't worry about this. It would be different if she were away for more than 6 months or so, but she's clearly still regularly domiciled in the UK and just going back for a temporary visit.
Thank you very much for your reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.