Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm loving this forum for helping me to unravel the absolute absurd complexity of international relations and my admiration and respect for you all having been through or going through the process is growing daily! My spouse is a UK citizen living in France for about 8 years. I'm a US citizen still in the US.

Obviously, like everyone else here, we are anxious to be together. It seems easiest for me to go to France so we can wait out the process of getting a UK Spousal Visa.

The question is, assuming we can meet the financial and accommodation requirements from outside the UK (we can), can we wait out the approval process in France or will my husband absolutely have to relocate to the UK before I do/can? I can't seem to find any answers to this as searches for "applying outside the UK" mostly have to do with the non-UK spouse and not the UK spouse.

Thanks for any clarification.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, O.C. I'm guessing by your response that DOES mean we can await the visa approval together while living in France. Yes?

What is still unclear to me is whether I would/should apply while I'm still in the US or wait until I arrive in France? Does it matter?

Now that I ask that, I realize I'd need to get my passport back in order to travel to France if I applied from here. Hmm...a never-ending nest of considerations!

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm loving this forum for helping me to unravel the absolute absurd complexity of international relations and my admiration and respect for you all having been through or going through the process is growing daily! My spouse is a UK citizen living in France for about 8 years. I'm a US citizen still in the US.

I agree with you. This forum has saved many applicants visas from being rejected. I wish i knew about this forum before I applied for my fiance visa which is why I got refused..but hopefully this time with the help for these respectful and friendly expats will do better on my application.. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
If you are applying for a spouse visa you must apply in your country of normal residence which is the US. However, as your husband is exercising his treaty rights by living and working in another EU country you have the option instead of applying for an EEA Family permit. You would have to join him in France and live there together for several months beforehand but on the whole it is a much simpler process.

Read through this:

UK Border Agency | EEA family permits

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.