Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am Sue . Currently in UK on tourist visa to end year . MY hubby is a British Citizen and My hubby and I decided to immigrate from SA at end of July 2017. As he at that stage did not have work , I came on a tourist visa.
We arrived on 2 August and he started work on 21 August in Cornwall.
He has secured a lease (tenancy) agreement on an apartment from 1 October 2017.
I am now trying to get all documentation etc together for my spousal visa.
My ticket is booked to go back to SA on 4 January 2018 to submit same.
My question is : Is there any way I could apply while in the UK and save the trip back just to submit visa. I know the norm is you have to apply from own country but are there any circumstances / places you could apply to have an exception to rule ?
To all intents and purposes I am here staying with hubby . Not working or anything .
Also if I do have to go back and apply , the turnaround time is 12 weeks. Is this the norm or is it usually quicker .
Thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi

I am Sue . Currently in UK on tourist visa to end year . MY hubby is a British Citizen and My hubby and I decided to immigrate from SA at end of July 2017. As he at that stage did not have work , I came on a tourist visa.
We arrived on 2 August and he started work on 21 August in Cornwall.
He has secured a lease (tenancy) agreement on an apartment from 1 October 2017.
I am now trying to get all documentation etc together for my spousal visa.
My ticket is booked to go back to SA on 4 January 2018 to submit same.
My question is : Is there any way I could apply while in the UK and save the trip back just to submit visa. I know the norm is you have to apply from own country but are there any circumstances / places you could apply to have an exception to rule ?
To all intents and purposes I am here staying with hubby . Not working or anything .
Also if I do have to go back and apply , the turnaround time is 12 weeks. Is this the norm or is it usually quicker .
Thanks
You CANNOT apply for a spouse visa in the UK if you are on a tourist visa. Your application will be refused and you can be deported back to South Africa which would not help matters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you . I was just wondering if exceptional circumstances .
Ok no problem will stick to original plan

Any idea of timeframe of response if not doing premium service ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I worked in UK in 1995 and was paying taxes and NI
I have applied to get my NI number
Any idea how to get Home Office Reference Number - assume that is a tax number ?

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
As stated, you can't switch from a visit visa to any other visa. Exceptional circumstances would be if you were from someplace like Syria.

Your National Insurance number has nothing to do with the Home Office.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Thank you . I was just wondering if exceptional circumstances .
Ok no problem will stick to original plan

No, no exceptional circumstances from visitor visa. You would not appear to have any anyway.

Bank on around 12 weeks. You have to state your intended travel time when applying.

You can get you old NI number from any Social Security office.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you mean priority service? If so it all varies depending on your individual case, however normal time frame is around 2-12 weeks from submitting application and if you paid for priority service it is said that your application would be in front of the other applicant.

You can go on the gov.uk website and input the country location you are applying from and they will give you a time frame and number of applications decided. They have just updated it so it should be quite accurate.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When considering your timeframes, also worth taking into account that when you apply, your husband must have been earning an annual salary £18,600 for the previous six months, unless your are relying on your savings.

When I applied from Cape Town back in 2015, I got my visa in just over a week. There was no priority service back then, not sure if there is now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.