Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gurus,

I really hope you can help me and my wife have been played around with by an immigration lawyer who has at two times made claims/given advice on which he has taken back/corrected so we ideally need to seek a 2nd opinion and I would be ever so greatful if one of you could advise us.

(please be gentle)

me and my wife are married and my wife(american citizen) is applying for a spousal visa to live in the UK (she is in USA currently) I am in UK(British citizen)

She has filled out online application and submitted it. she has yet to sign decleration or be given a biometrics appointment, I would like you experts to please tell me if this is correct:

1. submit online application(Visa4UK)
2. sign declaration (before signing it, it asks for a passport picture from which we do not see where to upload or send it so are hesitant on signing the declaration)
3. wife receive biometrics appointment date
4. wife attend biometrics course in USA
5. pay the NHS Surcharge of £600
6. pay the online visa application fee?
6. Send in financial requirement form (handwritten) along with evidence folder of all relevant supporting documents to Sheffield (using courier service)

Please tell me if this is correct path of action, we have just finished step 1

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, this is my first post on the forum and the various information everywhere is a little overwhelming,

giving the best thanks in the world,

Richard,

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
You pay the visa application fee when you sign & declare. Pay the NHS fee before you send any documents to Sheffield, because you'll need to write the IHS number on the front of the printed application. Your printed application goes with your supporting documents.

I kind of wish they would be a bit more clear, but in this process you tend to receive new instructions after completing each step. It makes sense as you go along.

Edit: I'm not sure what the passport picture is referring to? I wasn't presented with that and I submitted my application from the US only three weeks ago

·
Registered
61 Posts
Apologies if I'm disrupting the topic, but I have been seeing a lot of people paying NHS fee for their applications. Does that apply to everyone now?

On the government website it says the following:
"applications for 6 months or less (but you’re not applying to permanently remain in the UK)"

So if the applicant is coming to the UK to permanently live with his/her partner, do they still need to pay the NHS fee?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You supply passport-sized photos with your supporting documents to be sent to Sheffield. They tell you to put photos in a small envelope and pin it to the front of your printed-out application form.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Apologies if I'm disrupting the topic, but I have been seeing a lot of people paying NHS fee for their applications. Does that apply to everyone now?

On the government website it says the following:
"applications for 6 months or less (but you’re not applying to permanently remain in the UK)"

So if the applicant is coming to the UK to permanently live with his/her partner, do they still need to pay the NHS fee?
Yes. Exemption is for those who are applying for ILR within UK after being here for 5 years, who don't need to pay. Spouse visa, which is valid 33 months (2 years 9 months), carries IHS of £600 (9 months rounded up to a year), while fiancé(e) visa, valid only 6 months, has none. When you come on fiancé(e) visa, and get married in UK, for your FLR(M) application (leave to remain as spouse), you get leave for 30 months (2 years 6 months), which costs £500 in IHS.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes. Exemption is for those who are applying for ILR within UK after being here for 5 years, who don't need to pay. Spouse visa, which is valid 33 months (2 years 9 months), carries IHS of £600 (9 months rounded up to a year), while fiancé(e) visa, valid only 6 months, has none. When you come on fiancé(e) visa, and get married in UK, for your FLR(M) application (leave to remain as spouse), you get leave for 30 months (2 years 6 months), which costs £500 in IHS.
Thanks for the reply.

So do we pay the fee when we submit the application online along with the application fee, or how exactly do we need to pay for it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.