1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
written for a friend:

i am in a situation here, i will try & keep it brief

what help can I get from the state?

i am a working in the public sector however the amount of rent we are paying in LONDON is too excessive. I am sponsoring my spouse via spousal visa, and I am wondering if there is any chance of applying for house benefit to make it more affordable to live.

Is there any other benefits that we can take to help pay for our expenses. The rent is over 1k a month, a gross income of 1550 is inadequate to pay for this. Partner is currently not working and studying(part time). partner is not cause of action, however it is the rise of rent in private sector.

i patiently await for your responses.

!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
London is an expensive place to live, on a minimum wage. Maybe you could find another place to live and work where rental costs would be cheaper.
The benefits agency will not 'top up' money if you work and choose to live in one of the more expensive parts of the UK.
The only other thing I could suggest is to find a 2nd job to make up the shortfall in earnings you need.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
friend says
the job is in london therefore its not a choice. i dont get the minimum wage, this is the cheapest accomodation i could find.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
As British citizen (presumably, or with ILR), he/she is entitled to apply for benefits, though as a single person he won't get much. Also a single person will be well down the list for council (social) housing, unless he is disabled. It won't directly affect his chances of sponsoring his spouse, but once she moves over, he will have to tell the benefits people about it and his benefits will be adjusted. He definitely won't get any more.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I understand your friend's problem - rent in London is excessive and out of control but everyone is in the same situation unfortunately. And people saying that if you work in London you don't have to live in London is really unhelpful. Especially if transport costs into London also make it prohibitive to move to relatively expensive areas outside of London. But as Joppa has said it is very unlikely your friend will qualify for any state assistance and they are not on minimum wage as that would mean they couldn't sponsor anyone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would suggest that your friend's spouse should get a part time job as he/she studies. Part time jobs aren't that hard to get, do 15-20 hours of work per week and that would be an extra monthly income of £400-£600.
I worked part time while I was doing my masters, not too hard really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.