Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

Applied for a spousal visa for my wife (non-priority) a month ago. Since we've been together she's had two visit visa refusals (one before and one after we got married) relating to a 10-day overstay before we met back in 2010.

With (expensive!) legal advice we've addressed this overstay in our settlement application. We also meet all the requirements for said visa and sent off a whopping 1.7kg of supporting documents to Sheffield.

My question is this: has anyone else (recently) applied for a settlement visa after previous visit visa refusals? If so, were you successful and what was your timeline?

Didn't go for priority but might be regretting that decision. Very difficult to find a job in the UK if you can't give the employer an available start date!

Cheers.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi,

My wife was refused a visiting visa back in 2013 due to lack of supporting documents. But this didn't affect her spouse visa later on in 2014.

Your spouse had overstayed and that is a breach of UK immigration law! However, if I remember correctly, if she had overstayed for not more than 14 days and you have given a valid reason for that in the application, I don't see a problem in she's getting the visa approved.

Good luck

·
Registered
474 Posts
Apologies...correction- if she had overstayed and had tried to reapply to extend the visa within 14 days and you have given a valid reason for that in the application, I don't see a problem in she's getting the visa approved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information Zakmuh. Good to see someone else was successful after a visit visa refusal!

Can I ask how long you had to wait for your wife's settlement visa?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well she has to wait for another 3 mores years for her settlement visa (ILR). But for the initial one, we didn't wait for long, we applied after three weeks of visiting visa refusal I think.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi AtwoZed, slightly different circumstances to yours but I met and married my husband (international student) in the UK and he ended up overstaying for around 4 years(!!!). It's a long, complicated story of why (age restrictions, new financial rules etc.) but in Sept 2014 he went back to his home country to rectify his status once we were certain we finally met ALL the UK spouse visa requirements. We actually didn't use a lawyer, we were just 100% honest about everything. His case (and interview) was very straightforward and he arrived back in the UK 3 months later on 23rd Dec 2014.

Good luck! I think your wife's case will be absolutely fine as long as you were honest and meet all the UK spouse visa requirements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.