Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a South African Citizen who is looking to relocate to the UK with my wife who has a British Passport thanks to her mother being British.
My wife will be going over and finding work above the Spousal 6 month Salary requirement of £18 600.
I would like to join her a month after she leaves and stay for 6 months on a General Visiting Visa until I either find work and come back to SA to Apply for my Tier 2 General Working Visa or wait for us to meet the Spousal Visa Requirements and come back and Apply for said Visa.
I have now found on a couple of threads that mentioned trouble with going over on a General Visiting Visa for that length of time.

Would I run into any trouble when applying for my General Visiting Visa?

We will be staying with her Parents. Her mother has just relocated back to the UK and her father who is also a RSA citizen, is applying for his Spousal Visa as he meets the Savings Criteria.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
One cannot say definitively whether you would run into trouble when applying for the visitor visa given your circumstances.

Certainly applying for a visitor visa for 6 months when your wife and her family has just entered the country permanently can raise suspicions of you not returning at the end of the visa period.

It also raises doubts that you have strong ties to South Africa - certainly no job/accommodation to return to.

Better to apply for a shorter visit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info.

Is the minimum not 6 months when completing my application?

Can I search for work whilst there? According to Visitor Appendix 3, paragraph 5, I am permitted to attend Interviews.

I will then come back to SA to apply for my Tier 2 General Working Visa if the company in question is a Registered Sponsor.

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
Minimum period of visit you can apply for is one day! 6 months is maximum.
You can attend pre-arranged job interview, but you aren't supposed to actively look for work or submit applications. You can do a general job search like looking online (but you can do that at home).
They are only likely to sponsor you if your job is on shortage list, but even then, they prefer resident worker not requiring sponsorship unless they desperately want to take you on (because you have outstanding quality or track record in your field).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.