Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a question I am hoping someone can answer. My husband is British and I am American. We are applying for a spousal visa for him to come and live in the USA. We are filling out the forms and have concerns about one of the questions. We are answering his 10 year work history. He has worked as a video freelancer for the past 5 years. He typically gets paid cash for each project, he has worked with various individuals on solo projects. For a lot of these they were just one off jobs, he doesn’t have all of the contact details for these people. My concern is that immigration will have a problem verifying his past employment. If they can't follow up with the people he has worked with does he just need to enclose bank statements, say for about a year? Or am I making this a bigger deal than this needs to be? I would really appreciate some help or advice where this is concerned. Thankyou for your help!
~Mcicki~

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you gone through business ledgers, appointment books, email logs ...?
Yes we have we do have some info, but not all information. So what is the alternative? Do they look at every single person, because there would be alot of gaps? What kind of evidence do they look for?

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
It's really doubtful they are going to try and check every freelance gig he has had in the past. He may want to describe his activities as either "freelance" or "self-employed" - that way he is his own employer and the various gigs are merely his customers.

Under those circumstances, I'd try to make sure he has some proof of having paid his appropriate taxes and/or social insurances, or copies of whatever tax or business declarations he made during that time.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts