Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have recently got married in South Africa, I am a UK citizen and my wife is South African. I am now in the process of gathering my documents to apply for a spousal visa. I had the fortune of coming across this awesome forum :) which has really helped....Yay!

I have a few initial questions which someone may know the answer too.

1. I got married in South Africa, does the Marriage certificate need to accompanied by a translated English version? The certificate is in English and has an apostille seal.

2. English requirement. My wife has a degree from a South African University which has been taught in English. She has certified supporting documentation dated 2008 from a previous UK visa application (working holiday UK visa). Should she get a fresh up to date version from the university? Is there a limit of the age of a document?

3. Time left on passport. It looks like the visa lasts for two years. How long does the passport need to have on it .e.g. 2 years 3 months?

4. We are planning on submitting the application online. How soon to the supporting documents need to be dropped off at the offices. I understand its by appointment, is there a time limit?

5. I currently live in shared rented accommodation. I plan on moving to my own flat after my wife comes. I don't have a formal tenancy agreement from the landlord. However, I have a letter from the landlord stating how long I've lived there, that I am in a rolling monthly contract, description of the property (number of bedroom and number of tenants). Title plan of the property to show the landlord is the registered keeper and a photocopy of her passport. I have some print offs from local letting agents to show I can afford to rent a flat. Should this info be enough?

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Hi All,

I have recently got married in South Africa, I am a UK citizen and my wife is South African. I am now in the process of gathering my documents to apply for a spousal visa. I had the fortune of coming across this awesome forum :) which has really helped....Yay!

I have a few initial questions which someone may know the answer too.

1. I got married in South Africa, does the Marriage certificate need to accompanied by a translated English version? The certificate is in English and has an apostille seal.
No.

2. English requirement. My wife has a degree from a South African University which has been taught in English. She has certified supporting documentation dated 2008 from a previous UK visa application (working holiday UK visa). Should she get a fresh up to date version from the university? Is there a limit of the age of a document?
There have been some issues with South African degrees to meet the English requirement. If your degree certificate is in English (not translated), that alone should usually suffice.

3. Time left on passport. It looks like the visa lasts for two years. How long does the passport need to have on it .e.g. 2 years 3 months?
Visa will be for 33 months. While there is no stipulation how long your current passport should be valid for, I'd say at least 6 months. You can then renew your passport and carry both for travel.

4. We are planning on submitting the application online. How soon to the supporting documents need to be dropped off at the offices. I understand its by appointment, is there a time limit?
It varies. Most people do it as soon as possible after online application to avoid delaying visa processing any further.

5. I currently live in shared rented accommodation. I plan on moving to my own flat after my wife comes. I don't have a formal tenancy agreement from the landlord. However, I have a letter from the landlord stating how long I've lived there, that I am in a rolling monthly contract, description of the property (number of bedroom and number of tenants). Title plan of the property to show the landlord is the registered keeper and a photocopy of her passport. I have some print offs from local letting agents to show I can afford to rent a flat. Should this info be enough?
They do accept prospective accommodation. What you have probably suffices, but it's easier to just move into existing accommodation for which you have full documentations, and after relocating to UK, move into new accommodation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information and advice Joppa. The info you provided has been most helpful.

I'm not overly worried whether my wife's degree will be accepted as proof of English. Its on the naric list of universities, the degree certificate is in English, she has a letter from the university to confirm the degree was taught in English and she has the university transcripts to show it to support this. My main worry was that the evidence given by the university (letter and transcript) is a dated a few years ago. I'm unsure if all supporting documents needs to be within x months of the application?

I would love to move, however where I move is going to be highly dependent on where my wife can get employment, so tying myself into a new 6/12 month tenancy may be problematic (catch 22).

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.