Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband was born in the UK, has a UK passport, but moved out of the UK with his family when he was a child…we are in our mid-40’s & have been married for 7 years. He hasn’t lived in the UK since he was young & has no family/friends left there.

Being adventurous, nomadic types, we intend to move to the UK to look for work (we are both professionals) and to explore the country. He has sponsored me for a Spousal/Settlement visa, using the full savings route (£62,500).

With regards to the accommodation requirement, we planned to look for a short term rental in the UK once my visa has been approved, find jobs, then seek more permanent accommodations based on where our jobs are located.

Question: Is it okay that we stated that we ‘would seek rental accommodations once in or around the London area' in response to the ‘Where do you and your sponsor plan to live in the UK’ question on form VAF4A Appendix 2?

As mentioned, we have provided evidence that we have the savings to provide for ourselves per the financial requirements. I’m now worrying that we messed this bit up & am going to kick myself if my application gets refused because we glossed over this when completing it. Not having family/friends over there to stay with, I’m not sure how else we could have truthfully and sufficiently answered this question.

(Note: A decision has been made on my visa application, so I’ll know the answer soon enough… I’m just fretting & doing a very poor job at distracting myself while awaiting the return of my documents).

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Prospective accommodation is acceptable if you are both abroad when you apply, but it needs more than intention to look for a place. You need, for example, record of contacts with estate or rental agents (e.g. email communications), examples of possible properties you have considered in the area you wish to live in within you budget etc. If you can't secure shared accommodation with relatives or friends, getting temporary accommodation (including details with your application) may be a wise move.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Prospective accommodation is acceptable if you are both abroad when you apply, but it needs more than intention to look for a place. You need, for example, record of contacts with estate or rental agents (e.g. email communications), examples of possible properties you have considered in the area you wish to live in within you budget etc.
Thank you for your quick response. It looks like we've made a costly and time consuming error that might have been easily dealt with ahead of time. Ugh.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Prospective accommodation is acceptable if you are both abroad when you apply, but it needs more than intention to look for a place. You need, for example, record of contacts with estate or rental agents (e.g. email communications), examples of possible properties you have considered in the area you wish to live in within you budget etc. If you can't secure shared accommodation with relatives or friends, getting temporary accommodation (including details with your application) may be a wise move.
Hey Joppa, could this apply to my situation cos a bit like toronto_sch both myself and my hubby are not in the uk and we'll also have the financial requirement met (through the 18,600 pounds).

So if we could find a three month short term shared accommodation or short term rental would that count as well as providing email communications from real estates in regards to longer term housing that would be ok?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Possibly, but nothing beats staying with relatives and friends who have spare room, and this is what most people do, unless they already own a property.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Possibly, but nothing beats staying with relatives and friends who have spare room, and this is what most people do, unless they already own a property
Trust me if I could I would, might have to ask friends of friends (that maybe a first option) but I don't like my chances :rolleyes: so if we can at least have the option of short term first that would be great. :fingerscrossed: :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to provide a follow-up on this, for anyone looking into this in the future...

My visa application was successful, having just stating that we would be looking for accommodation once we arrive in the UK. We did not provide additional supporting documentation such as e-mails to real estate agents, etc.

This was just my experience.. others may differ. If I were to do it again, I would probably provide supporting material to err on the side of caution.

Cheers!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks toronto_sch I'll still try and get something even if it is just for a month but that is good to know and I'm happy for you good luck with your move!!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.