Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is the Australian and she stays home with our kids, I am the wage earner (teacher). In going through the checklist, it says that we need to provide earnings from her and she may need to show that she can support me. How do we get around this? My wife called the visa line and they said that the AOS would not be asked for until the end of the application period, but if she couldn't satisfy it then I would be denied.

Also, it says that the sponsor needs to usually reside in Australia. How does that work if we have lived in the USA for our whole marriage (8 years)?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

Hubby is Aussie by descent, he has NEVER lived in Oz.
We got a spouse visa in 2 months, no problem.

You do not have to be there, nor to have been there. You need to want to move there with your family. Your wife as an Australian has the right to live in her country with her family.

Good luck!

Busyte

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 months? Wow! The Embassy here told us that it would be 4-8 months processing time. I am worried because I have a seizure disorder, so this all seems like just extra to count against us.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

We're in the UK and they told us 3 to 4 month min. I was much quicker and we needed to ask for a Federal Police check from Australia because of the kids (we didn't to start with because hubby (the sponsor ) had never lived in Australia).

We had that doubt too, but we don't think that applies to citizens.
We'll never know because they only ask for things they need and in the end send the approval. We send the passports and that is that.

I think you guys will be fine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! You have made me a lot more positive about the process! Now I just need to wait for my discharge papers from the Army and we (should be) good to go!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts