Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am from Ireland and want to move to Australia with my cousin as soon as possible! We have a few problems though!
I am just finished my Masters in Psychology and am looking to gain experience in any area of Psychology while I am out there. I am going to go on a Working Holiday Visa so there's no problem there, I am wondering about work when I get there though. Does anybody know if there are any internship oppertunities (even voluntary) for Psychologists in Australia?? Or the best place to look for these placements?
Also, my cousin is having problems with her visa application. She has just completed a degree in Social Care and has a lot of experience in various areas, however she does not qualify for a WHV and because she hasn't worked in the area since getting her degree she cannot get a Skilled Worker Visa-she needs to get sponsorship from a company there before she can go! So our second problem is where to look for sponsorship? Do we need to contact companies directly or respond to jobs advertised on the web?? Any information would be great!!

Thanks,
Aimee :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Aimee,

On the WHV you are only allowed to work for a company for a total of 6 months, you then have to find alternative employment so an internship would be out of the question. Not sure of the rules if you're not being paid though. Although, it does state that Workplace-based training is considered to be work. Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) so I' interpreting that as a no as well.

Getting company sponsorship can be very tricky indeed. The best thing to do is just bombard companies via email/phone calls and ask them if they are willing to sponsor.

Dolly

1 - 2 of 2 Posts