Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have just received my visa and I have my flight booked for Tuesday 19th May. I applied from New Zealand so it went to Manila.

I have just noticed that my sponsors name on my visa is C M Connolly as opposed to G M Connolly. Took me a long time to notice it today! I do not have time to change this before my flight on Tuesday (3 days time). Also, it is a fiancee visa and we are planning on marrying in August at the latest so once we do, my fiancee visa is redundant & we then switch to a spouse visa from inside the UK. Do you think I am going to be OK? Or will I need to have this amended once I get to the UK?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Nicola

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
You should really get it changed before you fly out, but if it isn't possible, mention it at the UK border and show documentary evidence, such as his birth certificate or passport copy. Then you have to get in touch with UKVI and get it changed. It's their mistake so they should do it free of charge. See https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi/visas-and-settlement

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply & my apologies for posting about this on another thread, was seeking advice from the person that had been through this same issue.

We have alerted the UKVI that there is an error on the visa, I am going to enter the UK and have it amended on that side. We thought it best to let UKVI know right away & they have escalated it & will respond to us in 5 days. So it is best if I point out the spelling error at the border & advise that UKVI are aware of the situation?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right ok, I thought it would be best not to point it out & just explain if they asked me about the discrepancy. Feeling very nervous!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Joppa

I made it back into the UK yesterday fine with the small typographical error of my sponsors first initial being a C rather than a G.

It looks like we now have to send my passport and a cover letter etc to the RCU in Croydon to have it amended as per this link https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...b19/correcting-an-incorrect-endorsement-ecb19

Since I am in London, do you think it would be possible for me to take it along and drop it off in person?

With an error such as this, and since I am going to be getting married in August we still need to register our marriage and I imagine we will not be able to do so with it incorrect currently? Once we are married my fiancee visa no longer exists so do you think it is crucial that we 110% do have it amended? I am thinking yes, but would be interested in your opinion.

Many thanks, Nicola

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
No, they won't let you in without an appointment, and I don't know if there is a drop box located outside (doubt it, for security reasons). Just use Royal Mail Special Delivery overnight service.
You must have it amended, or register office will be unlikely to accept it and refer your case to Home Office for a ruling, adding weeks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you I thought as much! We will send it in this week, I imagine it will come back quite quickly when it is an error made on their behalf.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I send in my passport I enclose a cover letter requesting the amendment (and my disappointment that this has happened after all the stress & waiting we have already endured) along with 2 passport photos & I am enclosing some of my supporting documents from my visa application as evidentiary support that my sponsors name was on multiple documents, a couple of them being a copy of his passport & the page which has 'sponsor details' from my online application.

Do you think there is anything else I need to include? Aiming to have it all ready to send today or tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks for your advice & help so far!

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
Don't say anything about your stress, delay and disappointment - this doesn't help and only serves to put their backs up. They may even put your case on back burner. Just be factual and business-like. Remember, Croydon didn't make the mistake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.