Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I would really appreciate some help on this matter.

I am a German Passport Holder living in the UK. I have been in the UK for the last 8 years and work in the Financial Services sector earning approximately £30k (not sure if this info is relevant).

Anyways I currently live with my parents, my mums a housewife and dad's a cab driver (self-employed) earning approximately 16k.

My grandma is 63 years old and her husband recently passed away and she's effectively all alone in Pakistan. Although she has 2 daughter's living in Pakistan (not with her) they are not financially stable enough to care for her.

I am wondering whether there's any possibility for me to sponsor her and get her to the UK so she can stay with us? My understanding is that due to Dad's low wage he would not be able to do this, and it would be best I sponsor her?

However I am not sure what the best method/process would be to get her to the UK so she can live with us? I would be more then happy to provide her with accomadation with us as well as cover any medical bills and get her private health care etc.

Could anybody please provide some guidance? I am more then happy to provide any additional information you may need. I have never done a such thing before so am completely clueless as to the process and additionally whether I would be better suited then my dad to sponsor her?

And additionally what the best process would be and if there's anything I should be aware of?

She's all alone and is really upset, any help in the matter would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much guys.

Kind Regards,

Zesh

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Sponsoring extended family member will be difficult even under the EU rules. You either need evidence she has been financially dependent on you or your family substantially (usually taken to mean at least 50% of her living cost, for some time such as a year) or you have been her carer for her everyday needs. Neither seems to apply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SO if we started putting the gears in place now, If i started sending her 50% of her living expenses and then applied after say 9 months would that help?

Is there anything additional I would need to do to prove dependence?

Her situation has recently changed as her youngest daughter got married to someone in the UK and is moving across now which now leaves her all alone in the house? I don't know if maybe her youngest daughter who's marrying someone and moving to the UK would be able to apply for something to take her mum with her?

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
It will be more difficult for her daughter as she has to apply under UK rules. I don't give advice about what you should do. You need to decide for yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be more difficult for her daughter as she has to apply under UK rules. I don't give advice about what you should do. You need to decide for yourself.
Thanks that makes sense.
So doing some research we've decided to take the EEA sponsorship route and my mum (German National living in the UK) will apply.

Now the question is, to demonstrate family tie what exactly does she need to prove?
1. The fact that the person she's sponsoring is her mother?
2. The fact that my grandma is 63 lives by herself as her daughters there are financially unstable to care for her?
3. The fact that we send her money regularly to support her ? (Would 6 months of evidence of this be sufficient?)

Is there anything else that needs demonstrating to demonstrate a family tie or is what Im saying sufficient?

Thanks a lot for your help buddy.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
More like several years, preferably with your mother having lived with your grandmother.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More like several years, preferably with your mother having lived with your grandmother.

Hmm my mother lived with my grandma when she was younger until she got married. Now the situation was different as my mums youngest sister was living with my grandmother and caring for her etc.

But now that she is getting married and moving abroad, my grandmother will be alone, and since then we have started supporting her financially, however its difficult to look after her health etc from here as she's 63 and alone.

So I am not sure whether sending her financial support andproving that she's alone now and needs someone to look after her will help or not?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
581 Posts
"My grandma is 63 years old and her husband recently passed away and she's effectively all alone in Pakistan"

Does she need to be cared for? 63 seems too young to me, it isn't even retirement age yet, but perhaps you are missing to mention a reason why she needs to be cared for.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
SO if we started putting the gears in place now, If i started sending her 50% of her living expenses and then applied after say 9 months would that help?

Is there anything additional I would need to do to prove dependence?

Her situation has recently changed as her youngest daughter got married to someone in the UK and is moving across now which now leaves her all alone in the house? I don't know if maybe her youngest daughter who's marrying someone and moving to the UK would be able to apply for something to take her mum with her?
Maybe when all the daughters were leaving 'home' to marry and move outside grandmas 'home' country,they should have thought one day grandma, would be left alone and one should have elected to stay,and looked after her in her 'home' country. Sixty three is not considered old, but it is not easy for some one that age to learn a new language, culture and get used to much colder weather in another country.
Unless grandma needs a lot of physical care such as feeding, washing and dressing the chances of getting a visa are very slim.

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
"My grandma is 63 years old and her husband recently passed away and she's effectively all alone in Pakistan"

Does she need to be cared for? 63 seems too young to me, it isn't even retirement age yet, but perhaps you are missing to mention a reason why she needs to be cared for.
Agree that 63 is quite young... my Grandmother lived on her own in a 3 bedroom, split level house until she passed away at age 85... other than yard and external house maintenance (my cousins took turns cutting the grass and my uncles took care of external repairs to the house), she paid all of the bills and looked after the house on her own. Her closest daughter lived 30 minutes by car (in good traffic) away from her, and whilst one of my cousins lived closer to her, it still would have taken him some time to get to her home to help her, if she required assistance of any sort .

My Great Auntie (Grandmother's sister) was 92 and living as a widow in a town-house up until the time that she died. She only had one son to look after her but even at that, his "care" was more at arm's length, as he lived in his own place and worked full-time outside of the home.

So yes, it's going to be a very hard sell to the UKBA that your Grandmother is, at 63, completely dependent on you. Yes, I understand that it's "an ethnic thing" that elderly parents/grandparents need to be taken care of by the family (I am of Japanese ancestry, so I totally get it that the cultural family obligation exists), but 63 is still fairly young and while the Home Office may be sympathetic to cultural traditions, you're going to have a tough battle to prove your case, especially if there are close relatives (daughters) who live in Pakistan who can look after Grandmother's physical needs, even if they don't have the financial means to provide for her. Also consider that you'll have an even more difficult time getting permission for her to stay, especially if the UK votes to leave the EU (i.e. your German Passport will be meaningless and your right to free movement into the UK will likely be curtailed).

Reactions: styla

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hmm she does not need feeding of washing or anything as such. She tends to fall unconscious a lot, or she forgets what she was doing e.g she would leave the cooker on and forget about it completely.

She seems to be very forgetful , she can't really drive or get around the house and do the chores , last time she went shopping she fell unconscious outside.

So yeah medically she's unfit and I guess we can always get medical reports to support this. I do take the point on board that ideally someone should have stayed there but the matter of fact is that she's got 2 daughters there, one is financially unstable to support her and the other lives with her husband who have moved quite far away within Pakistan due to her husbands work and the husband is not willing for the grandma to stay/live with them as her husbands recently started work and they live in a tiny place and again aren't financially very stable either .

I guess everyone has there own personality but as far as we are concerned we are more then happy to pay for her medical expenses get her medical insurance pay for any other expenses etc .

I can see that at 63 applying for her Visa might be difficult but I guess with the medical support letter attached and sufficient reasoning it might be worth a shot ?

Worst case scenario it'll come down to us not being able to support or help her but I can always get her a carer there full time and pay that person to look after her.

I think tradition would suggest that we do it ourselves but if it doesn't work out then there isn't much more we can do really.

Appreciate all the advice guys ! I can see the chances are slim
But I guess I'll give it a shot. Have nothing to loose really.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I have just turned 59 and very forgetful it's an age thing and happens to all of us.
Why is she falling unconscious? Has she been to the doctor to determine why?

To be honest I feel you stand little to no chance at all but if you have money to spare then go for it and good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice etc guys . I don't think it'll be a costly process in fact under the EEA it seems free so don't see the harm in trying I guess . I'll keep you posted :)

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
The only thing is, if you apply and get refused, it will make future chances even more difficult, not just under EU rules but any other way of coming to UK. The government is committed to reducing immigration, and unless they are powerless to stop because of EU membership (freedom of movement for EEA citizens and their direct family members), they will just use their discretion to deny it. You can appeal on human rights ground, but only the most pressing and compassionate case will carry any chance of success. Home Office's position is if you have the financial means, get some help in Pakistan, and visit her there regularly to strengthen emotional ties.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Visiting her there would have been ideal, but it almost costs between £500-800 just for flights so it's not very affordable especially when your paying for her expenses there and medical bills .

Unless I get a pay rise it's almost impossible for me to afford that unfortunately. It's a bit of a difficult situation really but I don't think I have much choice, do you think if I delayed the application to say when she's older that would help ? And if yes then how old do you reckon ?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Visiting her there would have been ideal, but it almost costs between £500-800 just for flights so it's not very affordable especially when your paying for her expenses there and medical bills . Unless I get a pay rise it's almost impossible for me to afford that unfortunately. It's a bit of a difficult situation really but I don't think I have much choice, do you think if I delayed the application to say when she's older that would help ? And if yes then how old do you reckon ?
A close friend of mine is over seventy. She has no relatives in the country in which she lives. She is not totally dependent either physically or financially, but she does have some physical challenges which cause concern for her children in the UK. She would not be a burden on the state. She is seriously grieving the loss of her husband one and a half years ago. She was refused her visa. The adult dependent visa is almost impossible to get unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
Visiting her there would have been ideal, but it almost costs between £500-800 just for flights so it's not very affordable especially when your paying for her expenses there and medical bills .

Unless I get a pay rise it's almost impossible for me to afford that unfortunately. It's a bit of a difficult situation really but I don't think I have much choice, do you think if I delayed the application to say when she's older that would help ? And if yes then how old do you reckon ?
Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment: the UKBA could hold the position that whilst you may reside in the UK, you have the means to send financial support to your Grandmother whilst her in-country daughter is able to provide the physical support that Grandmother requires, thus eliminating the need for her to move to the UK.

In any event, she might be able to swing a visa in 10-15 years from now but in the interim, there's the whole question of the UK staying in the EU.

Whilst you, as a German passport holder, are allowed to vote in UK local (civic) elections, there is legislation in the works that will limit the eligibility to vote in the Referendum to British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens over 18, so your hands are more or less tied until that issue has been resolved and if it's decided that the UK will leave the EU, then the whole question of Grandmother's eligibility for a visa would definitely be moot.

Reactions: styla

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah taking all the information into account the likelihood does truly seem very very slim , but taking all the information into account I feel like I will give it a shot and see how I get on.

If it gets refused then so be it and I'll have to try and make do with contingency plans but if I don't try then I would be looking to try in 15 years time I guess and by that time I think it'll be too late.

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it, if there's anything anybody can add to this that they think will help or support the application then please do otherwise I'm fully aware that the chances are slim now but I'll give it a go and keep you guys posted :).

Thanks guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A close friend of mine is over seventy. She has no relatives in the country in which she lives. She is not totally dependent either physically or financially, but she does have some physical challenges which cause concern for her children in the UK. She would not be a burden on the state. She is seriously grieving the loss of her husband one and a half years ago. She was refused her visa. The adult dependent visa is almost impossible to get unfortunately.
That's a shame, guess a country's got to do what a country's got to do, the whole problem stems from the fact that people misuse the provisions and benefits the country provides which makes it harder for genuine cases to be granted a chance.

Thanks for your input buddy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.