Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am an Australian Permanent Resident and be having my Passport soon.
My brother is willing to pursue his studies in NZ, is there any way I can sponsor him or support him with AUS Passport, having said aus citizens are eligible for PR on arrival in NZ.

Please guide me if there is any way..

Thanks

Josh

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Hi guys,

I am an Australian Permanent Resident and be having my Passport soon.
My brother is willing to pursue his studies in NZ, is there any way I can sponsor him or support him with AUS Passport, having said aus citizens are eligible for PR on arrival in NZ.

Please guide me if there is any way..

Thanks

Josh
Financial requirements for full-fee international students

If your brother wishes to study in NZ then as long as he meets the criteria for a study visa then he can obtain one.
If you are willing to sponsor him, then you as the sponsor have to meet this :-

E6.5 Acceptable sponsors

With this in mind it looks like you need to be the holder of a residence class visa in NZ.
As an Australian Permanent Resident visa holder and assuming you meet the criteria for entry here on a permanent basis you will be given an NZ Resident Visa on entry (not PR) and this may be a problem for you both. To gain NZ PR you would have to be the holder of an NZ Resident Visa for 2 years before you could apply.

Australian citizens and permanent residents - New Zealand Immigration Service

The NZ Resident visa will allow you to live study and work here permanently but it will have immediate travel restrictions meaning if you left the country it would expire immediately and also mean that you would then not meet the criteria to be a sponsor so what I'm saying is you would have to come and live in NZ and be the holder of a Resident class visa before you can apply to be a sponsor then you would have to remain here while you were sponsoring your brother on a study visa ?

* Not intended as Immigration advice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts