Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'll be moving over to Dubai in August. I have a job and my residence visa will be sorted.
I'm looking for a concrete answer on a few things, as google searches seem to give differing information and advice. I've seen this guide which seems logical..however there appears to be differing opinions..
timeoutdubai.com/knowledge/features/21214-how-to-sponsor-your-spouse-in-dubai

To those of you who have sponsored your wifes residence visa:

• How soon after entering Dubai on my residence visa, can I sponsor my wife to enter - is there a waiting period as such?
    What visa can my wife enter on while we process all the documents for her to get the residence visa? The above link mentions 'Entry permit' - is this accurate?
    Documents Required?
    Can a wife work on a husbands sponsored visa, or is there something else she needs to do to work. (Again, hugely different opinions on this when I searched)
    Rough cost of sponsoring my wifes residence visa?

Hopefully people here have actually sponsored their wife and can help me out!!

Thanks!
Cabot

·
Registered
479 Posts
Have you checked with your PRO? They can guide with these things. Otherwise read:

Get a Dubai residency visa for your family
Sponsor husband wife Dubai

For us, we entered on an entry visa but husband had started process before we arrived with company PRO so medical done quickly and visa and ID card not long after.
You must have your tenancy contract in place and own residency visa etc to be able to sponsor.
Yes she can work as long as you provide her with a no objection letter which you will have to do in other cases for her to obtain a UAE license, bank account and other things.
It's a fairly simple process if documentation is provided. Don't forget to have all required UK documents attested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
She has a Russian passport, so obtaining a 'tourist' visa just to then do a border run, or pay to convert it to a residence visa will probably be more costly and difficult then just getting her in on a residence visa.

Which brings me to the 'Entry Permit' specifically.
I've seen a lot of information about what you need to sponsor the spouse for the actual residence visa when it's time - but what do I need to bring when I fill out the form to get my wife her entry permit so that she can enter the country to start processing the residence visa (And how long does this entry permit last, 30 or 60 days?)

Regarding attestation - yes it's a huge pain. I've only got our marriage certificate, but we were married in Aus. Luckily i'm returning there in July before heading over, so will have to get it certified by the Aus gov, then sent to UAE embassy in Aus.
Then in Dubai I have to get it certified for the 3rd time by Aus embassy there, and 4th time at the ministry of foreign affairs?
Do I need to get my birth certificate attested for any paperwork in Dubai? If so does that need to be done in country of birth, embassy of uae in country of birth, then Aus embassy in UAE? Or is there a quicker process for getting this attested in Dubai..

Thanks for all of the information, sorry if this is a bit rambling!

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
1. you do not need to attest your birth certificate. Only required if you are sponsoring your child
2. For wife's visa, you will obviously need the attested certificate (apart from your labour contract, passport copies, probably emirates ID, and attested rental agreement - google for a full set of documents). You can come over, apply for her visa, and get the entry permit. Once she gets the entry permit, she can enter the country, get medical done, and get the visa stamped (pasted) in her passport
3. The other option is that she comes over on a tourist visa. You will need to get the above process done while she is here. Once the entry permit is issued, she might have to leave the country and come back (there could be ways around it, including a "conversion" of the visa) - the cheapest way to do it with her passport would be to take a flight to Oman and come back on the same flight.

·
Registered
479 Posts
She has a Russian passport, so obtaining a 'tourist' visa just to then do a border run, or pay to convert it to a residence visa will probably be more costly and difficult then just getting her in on a residence visa.

Which brings me to the 'Entry Permit' specifically.
I've seen a lot of information about what you need to sponsor the spouse for the actual residence visa when it's time - but what do I need to bring when I fill out the form to get my wife her entry permit so that she can enter the country to start processing the residence visa (And how long does this entry permit last, 30 or 60 days?)

Regarding attestation - yes it's a huge pain. I've only got our marriage certificate, but we were married in Aus. Luckily i'm returning there in July before heading over, so will have to get it certified by the Aus gov, then sent to UAE embassy in Aus.
Then in Dubai I have to get it certified for the 3rd time by Aus embassy there, and 4th time at the ministry of foreign affairs?
Do I need to get my birth certificate attested for any paperwork in Dubai? If so does that need to be done in country of birth, embassy of uae in country of birth, then Aus embassy in UAE? Or is there a quicker process for getting this attested in Dubai..

Thanks for all of the information, sorry if this is a bit rambling!
We married in Australia so I had a company do our attestation of the marriage certificate as we were in the UK. They did the whole process and couriered back to us but we didn't need to do anything with it in Dubai. It took about 10 days. They're based in Sydney.
Apostille Australia

Maybe contact them?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am a wife who has been sponsored. My passport is Trinidadian, my husband is German.

I came with my husband on a tourist visa (it was easy to get). Then we looked for a house and found one within the 30 days of the tourist visa. We rented the house and he got his family visa. At the end of the 30 days, my visa was ready but I would have been illegal here since I entered on the wrong visa. We lived in Germany before. I left the country and went back to Germany for a day and then came directly back on my residence visa.

Yes I can work on the visa that I am on.

All of the assesting etc. was done for us by my husbands company. We got married in Trinidad. They hired a company there to get a new marriage and birth certificates for me and my daughter... really we didnt have to do a thing. They also got a company to get things like his degree and his birth certificate in Germany. So now we have double of everything and they are all attested. This whole process took really long though... months, but since he still works for the same company that he always dd it was not a problem..he was just working and waiting to move.

So basically the process was smooth, the only thing I had to do that was inconvenient is flying in and out of the country for a day to re-enter on the right visa.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i dont know if cases vary but for us for him to sponsor me he needed a residence visa and to get that he needed to rent a place and get a tawqee number showing that he pays electricity and water.

the documents needed..i think were marriage certificate, birth certificates for everyone (kids included) and his degree. all were attested by the respective UAE embassies.

The company did all the background work the only thing we had to do was find a house.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i dont know if cases vary but for us for him to sponsor me he needed a residence visa and to get that he needed to rent a place and get a tawqee number showing that he pays electricity and water.

the documents needed..i think were marriage certificate, birth certificates for everyone (kids included) and his degree. all were attested by the respective UAE embassies.

The company did all the background work the only thing we had to do was find a house.
Hey

Where were you when he was doing all this? If you came in on an entry permit leading to your residence visa, what docs did your husband need to get that entry permit?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey

Where were you when he was doing all this? If you came in on an entry permit leading to your residence visa, what docs did your husband need to get that entry permit?
I came in on a visitor visa, we were in Germany while everything was being attested. He got an entry permit and security clearance etc. while we were in Germany. This lead to his residence, so he could directly get residence when he arrived...all documentation stuff was done by the company, we supplied them with nothing other than information like where we got married and where he went to university, and where we were born, so I dont know exactly what documents were needed but i think it would have been birth certificates, marriage certificate and degree.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts