Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone living in spain let me have any info on the availability off and the amount of interest in psychic mediums and clairvoyants in spain.
Are there a lot of psychics, mediums, clairvoyants working on a one to one basis in spain(not phone lines)?
Is there a lot of interest among the spanish or british communities for spiritual issues in spain?
Would there be a lot of call for spiritual development, reiki healing, tarot reading etc in spain.
Any info would be good.
thanks

·
Administrator
36,223 Posts
Can anyone living in spain let me have any info on the availability off and the amount of interest in psychic mediums and clairvoyants in spain.
Are there a lot of psychics, mediums, clairvoyants working on a one to one basis in spain(not phone lines)?
Is there a lot of interest among the spanish or british communities for spiritual issues in spain?
Would there be a lot of call for spiritual development, reiki healing, tarot reading etc in spain.
Any info would be good.
thanks
:welcome:

there are several spiritual groups & quite a few psychics working in my area - north Costa Blanca

theos I know are are in the British community - I don't know of any in the Spanish community, but I do see ads on TV & online for Spanish tarot & clairvoyants

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Just re-thinking spain. rejected once before due to shady property dealing but know a bit more what to look for now. My wifes a british psychic medium and clairvoyants, clinical hypnotherapist and spiritual teacher and healer and has successful business in uk so checking out if same business could be transferred to spain. Does anyone know if you can run a business like this from domestic premises in spain and what planning permission etc, if any,would be relevant

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
You might get some work from any ex pats who still have money...Spanish folk? Its still a strong Catholic country so not sure you'd get a lot of work from locals. How about going for a couple of weeks, putting posters up all over town and see if your phone rings?

Y

·
0 Posts
Surely your Wife could tap into the ether and ask the question there?

I`ll get my coat...

·
Registered
15,554 Posts
Funnily enough, I was in a classroom debate last week with a group of 18-year-old Spanish kids talking about this very topic: "do spirits exist?". They were evenly divided numerically, there was a heated debate based around a séance some of the girls had once taken part in, but the rationalists beat the gullible girlies hands down.

As for setting up in business, the same rules would apply as for any other self-employed person (known as autonomo), i.e. you would have to pay €250 a month into social security system even if you didn't earn a cent.

But presumably you could see that coming ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Our animal charity put on an evening with a clairvoyant who 'communicated with the departed' and the other usual stuff. I did not want us to be associated with that kind of thing.

We made about 80 euros after his fees were paid. Any sane person could see he was a charlatan. He offered to do a second evening and attracted three people.

I am sorry if I am offending you but I have strong feelings about this kind of thing. Yes, you will always attract a few of the recently bereaved, the lonely, the gullible....there were apparently a lot of tears at our event......but on the whole I do not think there is money to be made -because that's what it's about, business - in 'spiritualism'.

As someone pointed out, Spain is still culturally a Catholic country and spiritualism, clairvoyance etc. of any type is a big no-no.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Funnily enough, I was in a classroom debate last week with a group of 18-year-old Spanish kids talking about this very topic: "do spirits exist?". They were evenly divided numerically, there was a heated debate based around a séance some of the girls had once taken part in, but the rationalists beat the gullible girlies hands down.

As for setting up in business,
the same rules would apply as for any other self-employed person (known as autonomo), i.e. you would have to pay €250 a month into social security system even if you didn't earn a cent.

But presumably you could see that coming ... :rolleyes:

Surely if the Good Lord has blessed you with the gift of communicating with those 'up there' (or in the case of my departed family members most certainly down there) you shouldn't be making money from it....?

Or is it indeed just another branch of the entertainment industry?

Y

·
0 Posts
Ooh Mary, you`re such a cynic!

Well, actually, I`m with you 100% on this. There so empirical evidence to back any of this nonsense up and I, personally, feel it is a pretty shady way of exploiting vulnerable people - e.g. people that have recently lost loved ones etc.

Went to an event in Newcastle years ago (not my choice!) and the numpty "doing" the clairvoyant bit was straight out of Peter Kay`s "Phoenix Nights". It was the best comedy I`d seen in years, despite not being comedy.

Very much like: -
{Clairvoyant (sic)} "I can see a woman. Yes , a woman. A woman with, er, hair"

{Victim/Audience Member} "Ooh that`ll be my Mam"

"Yes, she`s responding to Mum. Did she have two legs and several ears?"

"Oh my God, that is so her"

Repeat until purse=empty.

No offense to original poster, but I feel that it is a very exploitative form of entertainment and method of separating people from money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might get some work from any ex pats who still have money...Spanish folk? Its still a strong Catholic country so not sure you'd get a lot of work from locals. How about going for a couple of weeks, putting posters up all over town and see if your phone rings?
Thanks bob and xabiachica.
As for the others who think spiritualism is about stage mediumship maybe they need to get more educated as to the what it stands for and the help it can give people. Have any of you heard of counselling. Suppose they are all charlatans as well. Spiritual development and counselling is very similar. A lot of training is required to learn to deal with peoples problems and to build their confidence. In stead of commenting on some bloke on the tele or psychic sarah working in a booth on blackpool beach maybe the rest of you should try stage comedy then we could all watch you fall flat on your faces. Mediumship is a very small part of spiritualism. The main point is to promote physical and mental well being and to work together in harmony and peace and to get rid of egotism and selfishness. My wife is very good at what she does and she works incredible hard for very little reward. She as trained for years in spiritual counselling and hypnotherapy (clinical not the stage type where people run round like chickens). I am so sorry for reqesting advice on the forum but I was led to believe it was for adults.

·
Registered
15,554 Posts
As for the others who think spiritualism is about stage mediumship maybe they need to get more educated as to the what it stands for and the help it can give people. Have any of you heard of counselling. Suppose they are all charlatans as well. Spiritual development and counselling is very similar. A lot of training is required to learn to deal with peoples problems and to build their confidence. In stead of commenting on some bloke on the tele or psychic sarah working in a booth on blackpool beach maybe the rest of you should try stage comedy then we could all watch you fall flat on your faces. Mediumship is a very small part of spiritualism. The main point is to promote physical and mental well being and to work together in harmony and peace and to get rid of egotism and selfishness. My wife is very good at what she does and she works incredible hard for very little reward. She as trained for years in spiritual counselling and hypnotherapy (clinical not the stage type where people run round like chickens). I am so sorry for reqesting advice on the forum but I was led to believe it was for adults.
Why doesn't she just drop the spiritual bit, and do proper counselling then? If someone promotes themself as a psychic medium half the population is never going to take them seriously.

Just a reminder, this is what your OP said - no mention of counselling!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've found reading this thread quite fascinating and very funny (such wits you have here), but I would like to perhaps "take issue" with the title of the thread itself.
Original poster: surely you meant Spiritualist, or Spiritist? I think this might be what has got some of your readers' backs up. I am sure that your wife does very good work and I myself practice clinical hypnosis and understand only too well the prejudice against it. But your original question - as has been pointed out - was somewhat misleading in my opinion. The topic of the spiritual aspects of living in Spain itself is a very worthy one and perhaps much neglected as it gets people all squirmy, as you have seen!
The spiritual life is most certainly alive and well and doesn't really have anything to do with psychics, mediums and so on, although there are many on the Costa del Sol where I lived before moving here to Galicia. Some appear to be the genuine article: I went to one with the initials BL near Marbella, very famous, and he was absolutely spot on!
However, back to spiritual matters: I have recently opened a Retreat at the end of the Camino de Santiago near Muxia which is intended to give pilgrims the chance to regroup, literally, physically and spiritually - and not a medium in sight, although I am a qualified clinical therapist and practitioner of hypnosis (MA's in Philosophy, & Psychology) and we get into a lot of work into "spiritual" issues, amongst other things (oh, and I don't charge a dime....all is donativo including meals and accommodation. It's my way of "giving back").
By the way, so-called "Religious Tourism" is absolutely on the rise... The Camino had well over 3,000,000 pilgrims last year and that's just the ones who walked or biked to Compostela!
Can we get our words straight? I think that this could be a really interesting thread if the topic could also include genuine spiritual matters (with no offence to the oiriginal poster).
Tracy Saunders

·
Registered
22,331 Posts

You are running a business, whatever touchy-feely language you choose to wrap it in, though, aren't you?.
Totally different from Tracey - good luck to her. Not my thing but she seems sincere and genuine..
As for counselling....yes, I do think many of these self-appointed 'healers' and 'mystics' are charlatans. Having a certificate,undergoing training, whatever..... means nothing per se....the authority that issues it is important in judging its value.
Incidentally, do I detect a touch of wounded egoism in your response?;)
If you take offence so easily when confronted with not very aggressive sceptism, maybe you need some spiritual reassurance yourself? If you believe in that kind of thing, it's not illegal...horses for courses, as they say. Some people believe, some don't, some take it seriously, some poke fun.
I think Tracey's spitituality is probably more useful, though.
Now that's my opinion. It differs from yours.
That's life.:)

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
Uhmm
The original question was
It seems that mrypg9 is the only one so far who actually has experience of a seance in Spain.
The moment this thread was posted it was "sit back and see how many unsolicited opinions are given" time, and I see we're doing pretty well so far:)

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
I've found reading this thread quite fascinating and very funny (such wits you have here), but I would like to perhaps "take issue" with the title of the thread itself.
Original poster: surely you meant Spiritualist, or Spiritist? I think this might be what has got some of your readers' backs up. I am sure that your wife does very good work and I myself practice clinical hypnosis and understand only too well the prejudice against it. But your original question - as has been pointed out - was somewhat misleading in my opinion. The topic of the spiritual aspects of living in Spain itself is a very worthy one and perhaps much neglected as it gets people all squirmy, as you have seen!
The spiritual life is most certainly alive and well and doesn't really have anything to do with psychics, mediums and so on, although there are many on the Costa del Sol where I lived before moving here to Galicia. Some appear to be the genuine article: I went to one with the initials BL near Marbella, very famous, and he was absolutely spot on!
However, back to spiritual matters: I have recently opened a Retreat at the end of the Camino de Santiago near Muxia which is intended to give pilgrims the chance to regroup, literally, physically and spiritually - and not a medium in sight, although I am a qualified clinical therapist and practitioner of hypnosis (MA's in Philosophy, & Psychology) and we get into a lot of work into "spiritual" issues, amongst other things (oh, and I don't charge a dime....all is donativo including meals and accommodation. It's my way of "giving back").
By the way, so-called "Religious Tourism" is absolutely on the rise... The Camino had well over 3,000,000 pilgrims last year and that's just the ones who walked or biked to Compostela!
Can we get our words straight? I think that this could be a really interesting thread if the topic could also include genuine spiritual matters (with no offence to the oiriginal poster).
Tracy Saunders
Whilst I wish you well in your business, and I would agree with you that "Religious Tourism" is on the up it would be a mistake to thi¡nk that person who walks the "Camino" = Religious Person.
Many, many people, including OH and myself, have walked the Camino or part of it purely for exercise and love the outdoors. Religion, especially the Catholic religion, gives me the Heebie Geebies. OH isn't quite so effected, but he is Spanish, brought up as a catholic and now isn't.

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
Uhmm

It seems that mrypg9 is the only one so far who actually has experience of a seance in Spain.
QUOTE]

I hasten to add that my experience didn't extend to actually attending the event.
We -ADANA - organised it to make money. The medium took his cut agreed in advance and we took the extra which was just under 80 euros - I think we charged 15 euros.

I was totally against us being associated with this kind of thing as I feared it would further strengthen the view that we are a group of old biddies, make us a laughing stock and generally create an image of frivolity. But one of our Board members is a keen believer in all things 'spiritual' and insisted the event went ahead.

I was told by someone who went that the event was a shockingly cynical exploitation of lonely and bereaved people. It seemed to have gone along the lines that Yossa parodied. Interesting, the medium had a friend with him who sat with the audience, congregation or whatever the correct term is, chatting to them before the show started. Only then was it apparent that the medium and friend were connected. Whether the point of this 'chat' was to elicit information to be used in the seance I couldn't say. One woman was reduced to hysterical sobbing when her dead husband 'spoke' to her.
What was interesting was that the departed seemed to have nothing of interest to pass on: the conversations were, apparently, banal in the extreme .But then it's never Napoleon or Tolstoy, just Auntie Flo and Cousin Bert, who 'communicate' with us. If people like Tolstoy, George Orwell, George Eliot would promise to talk to me I might change my views. But interesting people don't seem keen on posthumous conversations, sadly.

One thing I'm glad of is that I have had no communication from my late mother. Were she able to communicate with me from Beyond, I already have a good idea of what she would say.:(

So....the ADANA experience was that it didn't make much money, the second visit was a total washout and a lot of people made silly jokes about us.
We shan't be doing it again.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Uhmm

The moment this thread was posted it was "sit back and see how many unsolicited opinions are given" time, and I see we're doing pretty well so far:)
I don't quite understand this post. Are you saying that you have to experience a seance to have an opinion about spiritualism or mediumship? Something like that? I genuinely want to understand.

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
Clairvoyants, Tarot card readers, fortune tellers are big business in Spain. If you have Spanish TV you can see that many of the smaller channels give over to these kind of programmes at night. Rappel was extremely famous a few years ago and his business is now a dot com success and there are countless phone services. These all cater to Spanish speakers though and I don't know if there is much of a market for English speakers taking into account the people who are already established here, and the way that many English speaking immigrants are having economic problems in Spain atm.

Whether you agree with it, like it, believe in it or not, it's here:)

·
Administrator
36,223 Posts
:shocked:
Clairvoyants, Tarot card readers, fortune tellers are big business in Spain. If you have Spanish TV you can see that many of the smaller channels give over to these kind of programmes at night. Rappel was extremely famous a few years ago and his business is now a dot com success and there are countless phone services. These all cater to Spanish speakers though and I don't know if there is much of a market for English speakers taking into account the people who are already established here, and the way that many English speaking immigrants are having economic problems in Spain atm.

Whether you agree with it, like it believe in it or not, it's here:)
that's sort of what I was trying to say

in my area there are quite a lot of english language (not all brit) clairvoyants, tarot readers, spirtualist groups etc., - but I don't know about spanish language ones - I don't go looking for them

I know about the english language ones because quite a few of my students seem to be involved in them :confused2:

however - I do see endless ads for them in spanish on FB, in the spanish press & on the tele

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
I don't quite understand this post. Are you saying that you have to experience a seance to have an opinion about spiritualism or mediumship? Something like that? I genuinely want to understand.
No, I suppose that's true, you don't have to experience something to have an opinion about it. Although, it would be recommendable to have experience of something you're going to voice your opinion about in writing on a forum in reply to someone's post who isn't actually asking for your personal views, wouldn't it?

Or, when you ask something on a forum you should just expect nothing and accept anything?

Genuine question too, I hasten to add!!

What I really meant was that it seemed to me that no one really had the information that the OP wanted, but people felt it was fair game to wade in with their opinions. I remember something similar happened when someone asked about getting a child circumcised. No one had a clue how to go about it, but plenty of people had an opinion about what the OP was NOT supposed to do to his son. IMO that's not what people want or expect or should expect on the forum, but perhaps that's just me.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts