Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is looking very likely that I will need spinal surgery within the year. So, whilst I am on the Spanish health service system, I am wondering about the pros and cons of using my health insurance to go private. Thoughts? We have a massive deductible so it will cost us but obviously I want to ensure top treatment. :)

We are currently near Denia hospital tho we are due to move somewhere within the Alicante region within a couple of months.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
What do you think you'll get from private care that you won't from public?

If it's a pre-existing condition, then private won't cover it surely?

I am also likely to need spinal surgery this year (3 prolapsed discs having had surgery 4 times previously in UK). It's taken nearly 18 months to get to see the consultant/surgeon. I have been referred to Valencia and have no idea whether private care would be any better.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Well if it's anything like the U.K. the same surgeon will operate on you in the private sector as operates on you in the public sector. Only difference.. private room, many NHS staff also do shifts in the private sector.

My husband has had major spinal surgery in the UK. no issues and two routine hand operations here in Spain...... in all cases good care pre, pero and post.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Well if it's anything like the U.K. the same surgeon will operate on you in the private sector as operates on you in the public sector. Only difference.. private room, many NHS staff also do shifts in the private sector.

My husband has had major spinal surgery in the UK. no issues and two routine hand operations here in Spain...... in all cases good care pre, pero and post.
You get a private room anyway in my local hospital - which happens to be Denia. There's also a sofa-bed for family to stay overnight.

Both my daughters have had surgery there (life saving in my younger daughter's case -twice) & I have nothing but praise.

Two friends recently had joint replacements & are doing great - & it looks like I'll be following them in the not too distant future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts