Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest nagging concern about moving to aus is all these spiders and bugs that I've seen on the internet.
Doesn't make it any better that I have a bunch of friends who live in Australia and post pics of massive spiders regularly on their facebook.. :D

I don't really mind snakes at all.. Actually kind of like them.. But I can't stand spiders.. And from what I've heard there are tons of massive spiders even on the gold coast.. plus scorpions and centipedes.. Web building spiders with really long legs especially creep me out (strangely i don't mind hunting spiders even the big ones like tarantulas)

oh and I like crocodiles and sharks so that's not an issue. lol

Is this true or my friends just trying to scare me?
I'm planning on settling down in Melbourne btw.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Trust me mate, I get nightmares after looking at those posts. My particular phobia is the snake/big ass spider in the loo.
I have been to Sydney and didn't see much of wildlife, it looked like any urban city to me. I have heard the same for Melbourne. I am guessing that the pictures are from a more rural setting ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Haha.... You can't escape from spiders in Australia.... no matter where you are!! :)

I am in Melbourne, and all sorts of spiders are common here.... Haven't encountered a snake yet though....

Web building spiders with really long legs: They are called "Daddy-Long-Leg" spiders and are very very common .....:)

The only way to avoid spiders is to rent or buy a "new" apartment in a high-rise kind of building, and you wont get much spiders.....;)

However, if you are living on a ground floor house, and have any sort of backyard, then spiders would eventually come over... :D

My biggest nagging concern about moving to aus is all these spiders and bugs that I've seen on the internet.
Doesn't make it any better that I have a bunch of friends who live in Australia and post pics of massive spiders regularly on their facebook.. :D

I don't really mind snakes at all.. Actually kind of like them.. But I can't stand spiders.. And from what I've heard there are tons of massive spiders even on the gold coast.. plus scorpions and centipedes.. Web building spiders with really long legs especially creep me out (strangely i don't mind hunting spiders even the big ones like tarantulas)

oh and I like crocodiles and sharks so that's not an issue. lol

Is this true or my friends just trying to scare me?
I'm planning on settling down in Melbourne btw.

Reactions: pumbaa_g

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honestly, I've lived here a year and visited several times before that. I don't feel ANY more nervous about creepy crawlers than I did when I lived in the United States.

Most of the deadliest things you'll find in Australia are things you'd find out in the bush. If you're living near a city you'd be absolutely fine. I live near(ish) to Perth and I've probably seen several spiders, but no more than I've seen in America. And they're not the HUGE ones either. The biggest spider I've seen are gardeny type spiders.

I did have a few encounters with snakes at the water park/amusement park I worked at, but we had several precautions in place when spotting them.

The only time you need to be worried about wildlife attacks is if you are acting like a jerk, or the animal feels threatened. So if you see wild kangaroos, don't go up to them, you'll probably get kicked in the chest (and THAT is a super unpleasant experience). And if you see a spider or snake? Just don't... go near that spider or snake. It's pretty basic rules for survival. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts