Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...another grave subject... but don't be too serious.

Is anyone else like me when I see posts with spelling errors and general typos. I have to admit that I am wholly bigoted and hypercritical when I see errors. When other people make them I think "stupid", "no education" and other unkind thoughts.

However, when I typt (ooooh, ther's another, and anither) , I think it's ok to make a few errors. They can be difficult to correct on a tablet. After all, everyone will understand what I mean?

Bigots of the world unite - don't be self critical with our hyper-criticism!

DejW

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I think the occasional 'typo' happens to us all, especially with a near-death experience keyboard like mine, which I must correct every time.

Teaching English makes me a touch more critical probably, but when reading forums 'back home' I do wonder what people learned at school.

Many of the previous generation of my family left school aged 12/13 to work in heavy industry, but they could all read & write their own language and add-up correctly.

Like most things in life, I work by the maxim that it's not 'ok' - it's either right or wrong.

ps Don't look too closely at all my other posts as I often come on here very late at night :p

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
And of course the more immersed in French you become, the more you hesitate over words that are similar in spelling and/or meaning (how many d's in address? p's in apartment? medecine or medicine?).

This is further complicated by English/American variations (program/programme, color/colour/couleur..).

Our grandparents may have been better at reading and writing I agree but life was SO much less complicated for them! :confused:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have strong grammar snob tendencies. Reading, writing, and spelling have always come easily to me (even in French! It's sort of awkward when you correct your students' spelling in their native language. To be fair, s'asseoir is not the easiest word...), and I grew up with a father who constantly and very imperiously corrected my pronunciation and grammar.

However, studying linguistics and the history of the English language has put a lot of it in perspective. The mere idea of "correct" spelling is really only about 300 years old. Language and its conventions are in a state of constant flux. A lot of what we consider "correct" grammar is societally informed and heavily classist, but at the same time, you can't use text speak in a cover letter.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, correct spelling is, as you say, recent. Even Shakespeare wrote his own name using different spellings.

I remember as a boy I was confused by the Church of England creed ..."I believe in the holy catholick church"
DejW

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Yes, correct spelling is, as you say, recent. Even Shakespeare wrote his own name using different spellings.

I remember as a boy I was confused by the Church of England creed ..."I believe in the holy catholick church"
DejW
Ah was it you who had Gladly the cross-eyed bear?? :D

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
The story goes that a little boy was given a bear and when he was asked what he was going to call it, he replied: Gladly, like the bear at church.

His parents were mystified until one Sunday in church the hymn Gladly the Cross I'd Bear was sung and the penny (or centime...) dropped.

It has been around for ages and I thought you were pulling my leg when you said that you didn't understand.....but of course you need to be pretty ancient I suppose to recall it now.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
But to get back to the topic which I apologise for monopolising, I do find it very irritating to read posts from people hoping to teach English in France who make no attempt to write and spell correctly.

It's a bit like sending a CV full of errors to a potential employer - the first impression is necessarily bad.

And as the saying goes, we don't get a second chance to make a first impression....

·
Registered
286 Posts
I enjoy spelling correctly and have always done so. However if I thought someone didn't want to write a comment to my blog posts, or post here, because they felt ashamed of their spelling etc then I'd be horrified that they didn't feel they could express themselves freely. I think there's a big difference between people who genuinely struggle with written language for whatever reason and those who are too lazy to fix major errors they are aware of writing.

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
One thing we have to remember here is that these online forums are a very informal media. Sure, it's nice if you can re-read your post to pick up errors, but in most cases folks are dashing off replies more like in a conversation than in a written report. And composing on a tablet or phone then adds a whole level of difficulty to the task.

Then there are plenty of folks in the forum for whom English is not their first (or even second) language. Actually, that's the primary reason we try to ban/discourage txtspk here - due to the difficulty it presents to the non-native speakers of English trying to take part in the discussion.

C'mon gang, this isn't school here, and some folks are pressed for time or disadvantaged by their typing skills. I admit that it's discouraging to see seriously bad grammar errors from those claiming that they want to teach English here - but then again, many English teachers in the French public school system don't seem to have a real firm grasp on the language, either. The neighbor's kid said that her teacher insisted that "mon super-hero préferé" had to be translated as "my super-hero of preference." (Why they were writing about super-heros at all is something I chose not to address.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
One thing we have to remember here is that these online forums are a very informal media. Sure, it's nice if you can re-read your post to pick up errors, but in most cases folks are dashing off replies more like in a conversation than in a written report. And composing on a tablet or phone then adds a whole level of difficulty to the task.

Then there are plenty of folks in the forum for whom English is not their first (or even second) language. Actually, that's the primary reason we try to ban/discourage txtspk here - due to the difficulty it presents to the non-native speakers of English trying to take part in the discussion.

C'mon gang, this isn't school here, and some folks are pressed for time or disadvantaged by their typing skills.
I totally agree. And posting here is not a test of spelling, grammar, general English languages skills, etc., nor are posts about teaching English job applications. In fact, I get annoyed too from time to time (even though I make lots of typos etc. myself) - then I calm down and tell myself to just suck it up - this is a social media forum and in fact you see worse in newspapers and even in books these days. Plus it's really not something that it's worth getting uptight about - life's too short :)

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Bad spelling and grammar annoy me but I am also dyslexic. How does that work ? (I just had to look up the word 'dyslexic' on google again to spell it correctly). The word efficiently will be the death of me.

I think faster than I can right. I am blessed.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I often, unintentionally misspell because my right hand gets ahead of my left or vice versa, then I compound it because when I read through, I know what it says (or should say) and don't see the errors.

I do feel that spelling and grammar to a common standard is essential if we wish to communicate. While some errors and the correct versions are obvious there are some which are not. Today, I saw an interesting one which was a quote of Matthew McConaughey's comments about a film in which he starred “Anyone has as much right to boo as they do to ovate,” He was trying to appear cleverer than he is and screwed up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The apostrophe!

My spelling is atroshuss, I am number dyslexic and I expect loose vowels on an on-line forum, but a mis-placed apostrophe upsets me every time, sorry! I just can't help myself; I am an apostrophe snob!

I frequently write that I am "heterosexual", thanks to small smart phone keys and predictive text!

Mostly, it really doesn't matter to me what people think of my grammar skills, so I don't bother with corrections (unless it involves an apostrophe!).

From Gypsy's computer ;) x

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,743 Posts
Bad spelling and grammar annoy me but I am also dyslexic. How does that work ? (I just had to look up the word 'dyslexic' on google again to spell it correctly). The word efficiently will be the death of me.

I think faster than I can right. I am blessed.
There is something not write about this thread......

1 - 20 of 75 Posts